Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No Soldering?

Default No Soldering?

Ok this is probably a stupid question but I am a complete noob. I have been planning my first build and it appears to me that with a combination of the MHS and MWS parts I won't have to solder anything. However if I want a recharge port I will have to?

Edit- Ok looks like if I want swing and clash sensors I will need to get a soldering iron so I guess that's what I'm going to do. I completely admit to being very intimidated by the soldering part.
    Last edited by Resta01; 10-08-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Well the swing and clash sensors are replacement parts for an older version of the soundcard sold here, the Petit Crouton. If you want sound, the Petit Crouton is one of the many options you can go with. If you are afraid of soldering, the board is also sold pre-wired using the MWS JST connectors but they also take up extra space in your hilt so be cautious of that.

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world.

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Well I definitely decided I want a recharge port so I think I'll have to solder no matter what. I am curious what kind of combo of MWS parts I can use while still installing a recharge port?

Edit- Also it seems the MWS speaker/battery packs are not very conducive to a recharge port.
    Last edited by Resta01; 10-08-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Resta01 View Post
    Edit- Also it seems the MWS speaker/battery packs are not very conducive to a recharge port.
    What makes you say this? I've heard that packs made of cells that each have their own PCB can cause problems in the long run, but the blue packs that share a PCB should work fine...

like this one:
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/74...Pack-P698.aspx

You just have to buy a smart charger and the 2.1mm plug adaptor:
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/21...arger-P36.aspx
    "We don't have to win. We only have to fight." - Mace Windu (Shatterpoint)

Fair point. I suppose I could buy individual rechargeable cells and place those in the speaker pack. I would still have to solder the speaker pack to the recharge port though, correct?

Resta,

There are TONS of videos on YouTube about soldering and tips that are helpful. Make your way o'er that way and study up a bit before your first few rounds. Also, practice on something harmless before ruining an expensive board.

Remember, your LED will ALWAYS look brighter in pics and vids... If you're not playing with it at night, it's not gonna impress you...

I have pretty much resigned to the fact that I will have to solder, I just hope to do the least amount possible. I'll do that though, thank you.

Fair point. I suppose I could buy individual rechargeable cells and place those in the speaker pack. I would still have to solder the speaker pack to the recharge port though, correct?
    This is a really good thread that another forum member pointed me to when I was trying to figure out which battery pack to go for.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...g+battery+pack

The first part discusses how to make your own packs and the dangers to it. The second post has more about wiring individual protected cells together and more goods stuff. Enjoy!

Ohh very nice. I haven't found a good tutorial on recharge ports, do you know of one?

Ohh very nice. I haven't found a good tutorial on recharge ports, do you know of one?
    I've seen a few good diagrams and can probably dig them back up, but how are you planning on using the port? (AV switch, sound card, etc) If you give a better idea of your set up, I can see if I can find a specific diagram for you.

Oh, and if you want to use an AV switch, do you want it lit up when the kill key is pulled, or when the saber is turned on? Wiring up a recharge port isn't too hard, just depends on what you want to do. Mostly just goes between the battery and everything else...but I don't remember what goes to the kill switch negative port...think it's the battery negative (so when the kill key is in, the circuit is closed.)