Thread: Series or Parallel?

Default Series or Parallel?

Hi everyone, I'm waiting on a LedEngin RGGB to complete my build. I will be running two green dies straight from my Petit Crouton 2.0 and a single red from the PEx for a yellow FoC. I'm using a 1ohm 2w resistor for the red die, will this be enough?

Also I'll be using the recharge port as a junction to both the PEx and the board, I assume this is a viable option?

I'm running the board using two TrustFire 14500s so I have 7.4 volts at my disposal. It best to wire the greens in parallel for more current? and at what led setting 1200, 1500, 2000?

Also just to confirm:

Series: (1+) goes to (2-) and (1-) goes to (2+)

Parallel: (1+) goes to (2+) and (1-) goes to (2-)

...Right?

I haven't seen any examples of a parallel wiring set up, everyone seems to go for series. Is parallel more awkward due to the position of the solder pads?

Sorry for all the questions. I hope you guys can help to put me at ease.

If I understand correctly (and I'd make sure you get someone else to verify this), the differences between serial and parallel are based on voltage and current. When you wire in parallel, you're adding a new track for the electricity to flow through. While the "pressure" or voltage behind the circuit doesn't change, you need more "water" or current to keep everything going. Serial is just the opposite, you need more voltage, but the current remains the same.

As for your specific example, if you run them in series, you need the full 7.4 volts (or more?) to run the the dice, but 1000ma would be sufficient (or you can overdrive, up to you). In parallel, you can run them at 3.something volts, but you'll need 2000ma. I've heard that running green dice in series is quite difficult on a 7.4v battery pack. This is because 7.4 is the AVERAGE voltage over the run time of the battery, so while you start out with enough juice, you run out of it quickly.

I'm looking to run two green dice in parallel for my own build, with a white FoC. That way I can get the longer run time with the right voltage.

If you were to run them in series, it would be:
    power in (+) to (1+) then (1-) to 2(+) then (2-) to power out(-)

Parallel would be:
    2 x (so you'd have to split your power feed into two circuits) power in to (1+) (1-) to power out. Then you would connect both wires together and run that to your PC.

Hope that helps... Good luck! And remember, I'm still a noob too, get this double checked!
    "We don't have to win. We only have to fight." - Mace Windu (Shatterpoint)

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e....for-noobs

If you haven't yet read this, you need to. It will help answer most of your questions. Fenderbender did a great job putting this together for the the rest of us and there is an awful lot of good information in there. I believe the answer to you question will be found there.
    There's a difference between knowing the path.....and walking the path.

Cheers for the pointer, I've already read that post and it doesn't describe a parallel setup. I've seen some handy diagrams for series but none for parallel, I'm just worried that 7.4v won't be enough as I've read posts where people say they are using the bigger cells for this.

I'll just keep looking. Thanks for the info Kyaryo, what's the power in? I thought it was just +- for each die or is any + a power in?

Yeah, I just used "power in" to refer to the wire from your PC board or the driver you are using, which would be your +.
    "We don't have to win. We only have to fight." - Mace Windu (Shatterpoint)