Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chroming

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Default Chroming

I was thinking of this last night...

I figured that if I had to rechrome a graflex I'd think a dark chrome version would be awesome. Anyone with experience in chroming (not necessarily dark chrome), tell me a bit about it?

I know it's not something you can do yourself, but what kind of prices and places would be good for something as small as a hilt? If I did it would there be something I could do to help any prep work?
    RED LEADER Standing by!

arent there chrome paints for metal that would work for this?
    I have seen a few different shades, including aged brass, in either Home Depot or Lowes.
    All things a beginning have.
    As all things do an ending.
    Be not too hasty from one to the other to move, or much will you miss, along the way.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Chrome paints are a hard... they are mostly for if the surface is immaculate in the first place. The chrome paints I've seen too are not good for constant use.

If chroming is too much of a hassle would oxidizing the chrome work? Aluminum Black?
    RED LEADER Standing by!

These custom chopper dudes have to get their parts chromed somewhere. I think they use a chromium solution. Plate it and then smooth it out.
    There is no apathy; there is Compassion.
    There is no fear; there is Faith.
    There is no despair; there is Hope.
    There is no hate; there is Love.
    There is no death; there is Christ

Yea chroming is a plating process. electrolysis and whatnot current in thie piece to be chromed attracts the chromium ions or some such thing. best bet for finding prices is grabbing the local yellow pages and your phone.

Hello X-wing check out this place they sell all kind of plating and painting products to do it yourself, I have used there wrinkle finish paint on my Obi-Wan Pommel with great results. http://www.eastwoodco.com/index.jsp
    " I am a Jedi like my Father before Me"
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Chrome paint, or "n***er chrome" as it's most commonly refered to in these parts (don't blame me! I didn't make it up!) is nothing more than very fine silver metalic paint.

It looks nothing like Chrome, I have no clue how they get away with calling it that!

xwing, PM me with the dimentions. My father works for a plating co. and I will run it by him. A pic of the specific part alone would be a great help too.
    Read the Thread Index. because Lord Maul fixed it...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Well, I was thinking of the whole Graflex... so is that specific enough on dimentions, lol?
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Well I would need to know each part.

They would have to plate each part separetly, so I'd have to tell him, or show him every part you'd want to plate.

And no plastic parts. I'm pretty sure there's only a couple of places that know how to do it (and it's a closely guarded secret) and I don't think his place does it.

Chroming is not cheap. It is likely that this could cost over $400 to do this. Plating is one of thoes things that is drasticly cheaper to do in high volume. Doing just one piece is more expencive.
    Read the Thread Index. because Lord Maul fixed it...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Well shoot... $400 I was thinking $100 wouldn't be too awful if I had to replate it. $400 is a bit out of my range for a saber.

Well, guees I'll have to figure out how to get a black look some other way.
    RED LEADER Standing by!