Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Blade question

Default Blade question

ok im building my saber from scratch and i intend to order all my blade suplies for my EL from you, but i had a question about tube diameter,I like the profile if the 1 inch tube,and want to us the EL wire in it,ive figure out the blade mounting so in that respect im good,what i want to know is if im gonna need more EL wire to light up the extra 1/4 inch diameter,and if so how much more?

thanks

I am new to the whole lightsaber building and need some help. I have several hilts already made. I need to know what ALL i need so that i can order it all at once. Also i am having some serious trouble figuring out how to attache the blade. How do i connect the mono plug to the EL wires? Do i need the "install screw set"? Is the only purpose of the inverter to brighten the blade? what purpose does the HD polyethylene serve? if someone can help me out i would greatly appreciate it.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Power,

I dont know of anyone who has made a 1" EL blade so not sure there.

Yoda,

Have you looked at the tutorials? They explain how to build blades and how to hook up the electronics in the hilt.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

is the inverter absolutely needed? what does it do?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yup, the inverter is needed for sure.[] Unlike LEDs that can just run off a battery the inverter is what allows the EL to light up.

Blog Entries

EL wire needs AC electricity. An invereter changes low voltage DC from a battery to high Voltage, high frequency AC which the EL needs to glow bright. I'm not really sure what the voltage is on inverters Tim sells but it can give you an unpleasant zap.

Lightsaber Warning Label: "CAUTION: Do NOT attempt to sharpen blade."

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

its around 140 volts..but really low amperage thats why it just gives you a light tap and doesnt shock the crap outta ya.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

"Light tap" ? Man, you must have pretty high tollerance for pain. I call these things low-budget tasser guns. And don't let your kids get the shock, it will scare the **** out of them. Literaly! I know []

Born of Sith, seduced by the light side.

so in reguars of the 1" EL blade ill be a revolutionary!striking out into the realms of uncharted well yatayatayata
    i think ill try a pass or 2 more with the wire to compensate for the larger blade cavity!thx

I dont know diddly about electricity but I repsect it []
    This little "zap"....when does that happen,everytime I turn it on or what? I just found this site and already Im freaked,I got 2 little boys that would love these,but I dont want them to be afraid to use 'em.Any help guys?

Thanks