Thread: General hilt building

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

As I said in the Shoutbox :

In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

dont forget to turn OFF threads hints.. and color/PC your parts to get more accurate looking/feel..and more accurate pricing if you plan on having Tim PC your parts.

Default dynamic hilt design - impossibly creative?!

This is my design and plan for a saber-staff, only with one blade on one end. Basically, it's a light-saber with a 40" handle. Sounds ridiculous but it should be pretty sweet. It doesn't sound so difficult until I mention the best part; it will have two blades, only one of them will run inside the hilt. There are a few crystal chamber extensions connecting the larger extensions of the hilt which I want to glow red like the blade. So, my idea was to have a second LED light facing down the hilt opposite of the blade to illuminate the 1" thin walled tube that would also accomodate the hilt's length. For creative flair I plan on wrapping the entire hilt in black athletic tape, except for the chambered extensions that will showcase the second glow coming from within the hilt itself.

So, what do you think? I recognize that the picture is extremely poor quality but you can probably get what I'm going for.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I think it may not work the way you think it will.

Oh, and your Covertec button is upside down.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

If you have the cash, go for it.
    Just... 40" is just a bit long...

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Council, that's a really cool idea but I have to agree with Scottsaber. That's alot of hilt. I think it would be very awkward to handle if you plan on dueling with it. If you're planning a standerd sized blade, the hilt is going to be longer than the blade. Since you want to make a long hilt maybe knock it down to 24" to 27". That's just my thought. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do, good luck.

I have a 14.5" single hilt and that is very long. Putting two back to back would be perfect for a double saber, though. I wouldn't go any longer than that.

yeah I recognize that its extremely long for a single blade, but thats kind've the point! I was thinking it would be a Darth Nihl kind of style. Very Unique. Heres a few pictures.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Nihl

Dude, I love Darth Nihls saber. I'm going to try & build a version of it out of pvc. But not for a while. I have his hilt estimated at about 27". That's why I suggested 24". In my opinion, I just think 40" may be a bit to much. I doesn't matter what I think, if that's what you have your heart set on go for. I was just voicing an opinion.

Well it's a long way off at the moment. When it comes out of the concept phase and into the construction phase I'll take that into account. I think I need to take a measuring tape and actually measure out how long it would be. I might be thinking it'd be shorter than it would be in reality.