Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: General hilt building

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Default General hilt building

Just so everyone gets the idea this will be a place for the mechanics of building a hilt that doesn't necessarily relate to EL or LED. Want to know how to operate that dremel? Make a Windu hilt? It'll fit here.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Windu hilt for me!
    Been toying with some ideas for the grips and think I have a workable one that leaves room for electronics......now the front part of the saber ???
    All things a beginning have.
    As all things do an ending.
    Be not too hasty from one to the other to move, or much will you miss, along the way.

Default Idea for hilt

Has anyone seen Hasbro's "build your own lightsaber" kit?
    I know, the sound and blade - not worth the having!
    But - I did buy one to try to explain an idea to some friends:
    about how I would like to make a hilt that would be flexible.

The kit contains 2 basic pieces:
    1. the hilt - a plastic, tube shaped thing which houses the electronics and
    so on.
    2. body pieces - these pieces slide over the 'hilt' piece to give the saber
    it's look - be it a DV style saber, As, LS, or whatever
    My idea is very similar

a metal 'frame which consists mostly of 3 parts
    main tube ( 1 1/4" OD about 7" long)
    it would have holes for electrical connectors as well as screws.
    speaker-end end cap ( screws on main tube)
    blade-end end cap (screw on to main tube)
    this piece has a metal tube which sticks out about 3 1/4" and holds
    the blade secure.

body pieces
    could be made of plastic, resin or whatever...
    they slide over the metal frame, secured by screws

the metal frame should be sized so that both EL and LED style blades
    would work (small, simple parts would be the only difference between
    the two types. the main parts would be the same)

Any ideas or comments???

For the hilt
    Use

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    2. body pieces - these pieces slide over the 'hilt' piece to give the saber it's look - be it a DV style saber, As, LS, or whatever
    what is the diffrence between the DV AS and LS aaber styles?

Thanks(pics would be nice)

Kolton Kuhns
    if you are new these links will get you started

tutorial on ohms law!!!
    the saber building dictionary-a dictionary with basically everything about sabers!
    thread index-this is the thread index!
    the basic saber building tutorial-tutorial for making basic hilts!
    start here if new-start right here if your brand new fresh out of the factory never before opened noob!

I was just wondering what you guys find to be the best way to get good lines cut in a tube or sink tube without goofing up. Is it merely practice, or do you cut small and file out to the lines? I tried using a rotary/engraving/cutting type bit in my dremel and was having a hard time getting true lines, and it kept wandering, so I searched some more and heard people use just plain cutoff wheels, and i tried that but still dont find it to be as square as i would like. thanks much

Default cut

Cutting wheels work but they do wander. You have to cover everything with masking tape. Then you have to use a diamond cutting wheel. I got one from American Science and Surplus. You should steady the piece in a vice and have both hands on the dremel when using it. Laser cutting is probably better but I wouldn't expect it to be cheap. After the piece is cut, you should file it (preferably with a diamond file).

You might be able to mill out sections but finding a mill is a challenge. Those things are to expensive to buy for just a few saber pieces.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

As for me, I just use a cut off wheel and files. I don't cut right on the line, I leave a little margin for error and clean it up with a file. It takes a while, but you have more control doing the last bit by hand. As you practice with the Dremel, you can leave less margin to file away. I usually only leave about 1mm, but I have a pretty steady hand. You may want to leave more than that.

The other trick is to take your time, and don't try to carve too much material at once. You basically want to shave the material away.

Pick up a set of assorted jeweler's files. They cost under $10, but they're worth their weight in gold.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Dude... you just described the Modular Hilt System! Available... RIGHT HERE!

Sink tubes and PVC slip right on top of it... lots of pommels, emitters, grips and now claws.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

x-wing, i have a question.

i would like to make a hole in the center of the mps insert style 1 capable of housing the standard switches sold at TCSS.

what is the diameter of the hole? also, should i drill the hole, or is there an easier way?
    Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.

Miyamoto Musashi

I'm not x-wing, but I think have ananswer for you...the hole for the switches is 3/8 inch. Best way to make the hole is with a drill.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.