Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: General hilt building

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Default General hilt building

Just so everyone gets the idea this will be a place for the mechanics of building a hilt that doesn't necessarily relate to EL or LED. Want to know how to operate that dremel? Make a Windu hilt? It'll fit here.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Windu hilt for me!
    Been toying with some ideas for the grips and think I have a workable one that leaves room for electronics......now the front part of the saber ???
    All things a beginning have.
    As all things do an ending.
    Be not too hasty from one to the other to move, or much will you miss, along the way.

Default Idea for hilt

Has anyone seen Hasbro's "build your own lightsaber" kit?
    I know, the sound and blade - not worth the having!
    But - I did buy one to try to explain an idea to some friends:
    about how I would like to make a hilt that would be flexible.

The kit contains 2 basic pieces:
    1. the hilt - a plastic, tube shaped thing which houses the electronics and
    so on.
    2. body pieces - these pieces slide over the 'hilt' piece to give the saber
    it's look - be it a DV style saber, As, LS, or whatever
    My idea is very similar

a metal 'frame which consists mostly of 3 parts
    main tube ( 1 1/4" OD about 7" long)
    it would have holes for electrical connectors as well as screws.
    speaker-end end cap ( screws on main tube)
    blade-end end cap (screw on to main tube)
    this piece has a metal tube which sticks out about 3 1/4" and holds
    the blade secure.

body pieces
    could be made of plastic, resin or whatever...
    they slide over the metal frame, secured by screws

the metal frame should be sized so that both EL and LED style blades
    would work (small, simple parts would be the only difference between
    the two types. the main parts would be the same)

Any ideas or comments???

For the hilt
    Use

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Dude... you just described the Modular Hilt System! Available... RIGHT HERE!

Sink tubes and PVC slip right on top of it... lots of pommels, emitters, grips and now claws.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

x-wing, i have a question.

i would like to make a hole in the center of the mps insert style 1 capable of housing the standard switches sold at TCSS.

what is the diameter of the hole? also, should i drill the hole, or is there an easier way?
    Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.

Miyamoto Musashi

I'm not x-wing, but I think have ananswer for you...the hole for the switches is 3/8 inch. Best way to make the hole is with a drill.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

thanks jay-gon... i think i would like my aux switch down at the bottom of the pommel, and the style 2 insert isn't as visually appealing to me. now all i need is my buttered toast to come in the mail!
    Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.

Miyamoto Musashi

Default Idea for Hilt - Pommel

Currently I am working on the pommel from Mace Windu's Ep. 1 saber for my saber....

I found that using a generic shower head that I bought at True Value Hardware has the angles etc., for the pommel. I'm taking pictures and am nearly finished with the first one, so it has been an experience to try and measure out the ten arms, as I call them from the center piece. so as soon as I finish, I would be more than glad to share the pictures and nightmares I had with this for anyone else to try. I've only found one place that has a pommel that looks a little like it but is another saber place..... $40 for it..... The shower head was less than $10 and my time and some chrome spray paint is a lot less and looks more like the original pommel, mostly....

Is there an easy way, or tool that can be used to tighten switch nuts and the like inside the hilt tube? I was practicing last night and it wasn't the easiest thing I've done....lol

jw out of curiousity , and not tryin to advert for anyone .as im new to these forums , i ask has anyone tryed doing a maglite saber , i recently bought a luxeon flashilight thats brighter than my led maglite and it would be a great lightsaber if i can get the appropriate connector to affix a blade to it.