Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 5watt w/ sound and cooling fan

Default 5watt w/ sound and cooling fan

Hi all. My first post here. Let me begin by saying that over the last few days, I think I've reda every post on this forum, and wow, that's a lot of good info. Thanks for that.

As the title of this thread may lead one to believe, I'm building a 5w LUX with sound and a cooling fan, and I need a little help. I've sourced out a fan that will fit in the MHS, which runs on ~5v and draws .16a - and at it's less than an inch across, and 3/8th of an inch deep! I have a little background with electrical design, and with that, I've put together a solid idea (IMHO)

Here's my proposed wiring:

I'm using the 8xAA's so that I have a decent runtime. If I had to, I could go down to 4xAA or 6xAA and run 6v or 9v across the project without a problem (the beautiful part about the Puck drivers...)

I need some help in figuring out what size resistor to put in there - I've searched these forums and not found a amp rating for any of these soundboards. Anyone have an idea? If I can get an idea of the resistor size then I can put this thing together...

Thanks!!!

(BTY, Stryder, I'm not going to post where to get the fans, but it's a bulk order kind of place. If you want it to add to your lineup -hint hint-, I'll share with you if you want it. Send me a PM)

Actually, thumbing throught this catalog, I see another fan that runs 12v directly, has a much higher CFM, and would still fit in an MHS, so here's an alternative schematic...

Might be a little more efficient by moving the fan away from the resisted circuit. Also avoids sending that extra .16a to the SB, which is these things are as touchy as everyone makes them out to be, would be a good thing.

Any thoughts?

i havn't heard anything about the current draw on the boards either but another option would be just splice into the battery holder and use just 3 cells worth to power the sound. or you could get a vreg and use that instead of the resistor. Radio shack Catalog #: 276-1770 is a 5v one not sure if the board will take 5 v but someone else here with more experiance with them should be able to tell you.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

here is where to find the resistor dregan
    it is under wiring guides like 5 things down
    http://corbinscomponents.com/
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Go to six volts... saves space and most of the new hasbros will take that. Reminder: You were kind of dreaming with 8AA anyway since you can only fit 2 accross and not 4 in a square into an MHS.

Here's another note, I've always wanted to try a fan also. Corbin has said that they tend to break though. He said the motion of holding it makes the bearings go. Bummer...
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

also, people have done plenty of 5 watters with no fans. you would only need one if you were to have it on for long periods of time, or if you had a bad heatsink but you are using a mhs heatsink so you should be good
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

I'm also thinking that a fan would add a nice little tactile feel - a slight vibration in the grip.

As to the durability of the fan, there are no connected moving parts (how it's so small) - meaning no ball bearings. It uses a balanced magnetic suspension system. Relatively new thing (came to market like 2 years ago) and is a very clever design advancement.

Third, I was going to use a MHS holder, extension and sink tube adapter, and put the sink tube to fit the batteries. No idea for a pommel, yet.

Thanks for the lead Maul. I'm going to go do some math now...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That's interesting I'd still like to visit it, but I've been told most don't work well. Just letting you know the MHS stuff is enough of a heatsink and if you want tactile feedback a motor maybe a safer bet.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Listen man, Maul don't know what he is talking about. I have a few 5w setups in MHS hilts and you can run the thing untill the batteries die and it WILL NOT OVERHEAT!!!!

My white 5w is a standard MHS (pommel01/hilt01/bladeholder01) and it has run nonstop for hours with no problems. I did this setup for the sole purpose of seeing what the MHS could do. Yes after an hour or so you feel a little warmth on the hilt but the same applys if you hold the darn thing in your hand for an hour.

My blue 5w has just the extension added (pommel05/mh***tension/hilt01/bladeholder01) and the reason for that is that I am using the long 6aa battery holder and has nothing to do with heat. Again there is no worries.

Dregan you have some sweet plans going on there bud but the fan is not needed with the MHS. I know that there are doubters on here as this has been debated for a while so don't take my word for it, check out Ultra's stunt V.

Anyway, welcome to the boards dude!
    Red 5 "Move Dangit! I gots Snitz to blow up!"

Maul better know as private pyle, again with his foot in his mouth
    ;

Do-Clo Custom Sabers
    http://doclocustomsabers.com/
    Replica Prop Artist