Thread: Mace Windu Econo Board Switch Help Needed

Question Mace Windu Econo Board Switch Help Needed

So, I'm hoping I can get some help here from so many of you folks who are smarter and more experienced than me... I started building a pvc Rahm Kota variant and decided I'd include another cheapo econo board (until the MB's come out). The only ones I could find were Mace Windu and Qui-Gon.

Anyway I am including a pic of the Mace Windu board I am using in this new PVC saber I'm building (pics are in the blog and in my albums). It has a tactile switch spot on the board and I can't figure out how to wire this switch to a momentary switch. it's the brown spot right smack dab between the two holes in the board...

Anyone have any suggestions? I could really use the help!

Thanks in advance!

0919120732.jpg
    Last edited by captain_mills; 09-23-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: adding necessary details

Remember, your LED will ALWAYS look brighter in pics and vids... If you're not playing with it at night, it's not gonna impress you...

Do you notice how the brown spot looks kinda like two hands with interlocking fingers? You can carefully solder a wire to each "hand" and use the momentary button to connect to the two "hands" and it should work. Just be careful you don't accidentally bridge the "hands" together on the board. You may need to carefully scratch the surface in order to get a good solder joint.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

That was my main concern, was the "interlocking fingers" I don't want to bridge to switch spot... Typically there is some obvious solution that I don't see, and seeking this solution was my intent for posting this...

Thank you Silver Serpent for your suggestion. I am hoping for maybe a few more so I can weigh my options...

p.s. Anyone know what that green coating is, what it's made of, and if scraping it off with a hobby knife will be sufficient to remove it? I don't want to damage the board beyond use...

Remember, your LED will ALWAYS look brighter in pics and vids... If you're not playing with it at night, it's not gonna impress you...

Personally I would check the other side of the board and if it is a single layer board (no tracks on the other side) I would drill two small holes for the wires in the two "clean" round spots you can find over the interlocking fingers in your picture.

Alternatively, you can safely scrap off the green paint from the two trails to create an area where you'll be able to solder the wires directly on the tracks.
    The green paint is very easy to remove, just make sure you don't apply too much pressure on the hobby knife to avoid damaging the copper track.

There are 2 bare metal spots leading from each side. I ca glued 2 wires to the black blob and soldered on to those.