Thread: Help with R.I.C.E.

Question Help with R.I.C.E.

Hey, this will be my first post. Spent a long time reading and learning from all the great people here. My first Saber is about 95% complete, and I'm excited to show it off. I've wired the R.I.C.E. port and can't seem to get the board to talk to the computer. When I click connect It shows a ping but thats it. Any help would be awsome. Thanks so much in advance.

MTFBWY

Scenario 1: It could be as simple as downloading the driver for the usb cord (given youre running windows xp or 7). IF you havent done that, then go to the TCSS store, find the rice cable, the driver is listed under the description. Ive also heard of issues with using cords other than those sold at TCSS.

Scenario 2: Are you using a recharge port? Is it metal? Are both the recharge port AND the RICE port BOTH metal AND contacting the HILT in any way (mounted in the same activation box or pommel insert, or 1 in the box, 1 in the insert, etc)? That can cause a ground loop that will cause the RICE to not work properly, and/or power the board with the kill key in. If so: Run the GROUND wire from the RICE PORT (NOT BOARD) into the battery NEGATIVE post on the RECHARGE port, leaving the ground connection on the P.C. BOARD UNSOLDERED.

Scenario 3: Theres something wrong with the points soldered on the board, one or more may be contacting something undesired/another spot. Take a very close look at the pads you soldered (not attempting to criticise your soldering skills, I'm very good at soldering, and those pads sure pissed me off, about the size of a grasshoppers anus).

Scenario 4: Its more complex than these problems and I'm not qualified to diagnose the problem. In that case, someone else on here will have to take the torch.

If you briefly, but THOUROUGHLY describe your setup, I or someone else may have a better chance of giving you the best advice to fix the issue. And... MTFBWY as well! Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first build!