Thread: Custom Machined Sabers

Default Custom Machined Sabers

So, I'm a complete and total saber build noobie. What I'm embarking upon could very well be a semi-impossible build. I have a 12" T-22 aluminum rod that I have machined out in the form of my lightsaber. It is 1.5" in diameter at it's widest point, and a smidge over 1" at it's thinnest. Keep in mind this project is 4 years old, and it was machined before I had any idea of electronic internals or a concept of what I would need in terms of internal space.

381105_108034566016202_761395613_n.jpg

252501_108034682682857_148972373_n.jpg

The first thing I've noticed while reviewing this site is that everything is modular, I assume to facilitate both diversity in build and ease when constructing the internal electronics. What I seek is a bit of wisdom from those who have experience with building. Is a build from a solid hunk of aluminum possible? If so, what is the best process to hollow out the hilt for the placement of the electronics? Any tips are welcome, and don't be afraid to tell me I'm hopeless. If it is not in the cards to proceed in this fashion then so be it, my biggest reasoning is that a Jedi does not have a box of parts. He creates his lightsaber from scratch. Just my thinking.

It is possible? Absolutely. You'll need to bore out the saber first. Considering your dimensions, it would be tricky to make it compatible with some of the parts here in the store.

Another possibility would be to keep your original saber as-is, and build a new one with the intent of adding electronics. You should be able to make a very close approximation of your saber with MHS parts. Check the builder: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...mhsbuilder.php and see what you can come up with.

There are a fair number of smiths with their own lathes that make their own sabers from scratch, and put electronics in them. You just need to design the saber with the internals in mind.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

It looks good but you might have a hard time fitting things in it. It theory you can have it hollowed out and use screws to hold the insides in place. Even just set screws.

If you can bore it out to 1.25" ID it might work out ok with TCSS parts. Bore it out up till the narrow section and boar out the blade holder to whatever blade stock you're using.
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 09-13-2012 at 05:02 AM.

If you have a way to keep the whole thing stable while doing some boring, I'd do what Crystal suggests...

Bore a 1" hole in the blade holder in about 2" for good support of the blade. Then continue through the thin section with a 0.5" bit past the thinnest section a ways. Afterward, flip the thing around and bore in with a 1.25" bit until you reach the other end... By the looks of it, this should give you plenty of room inside, and maybe some space for a few MHS parts from the TCSS store!

Remember, your LED will ALWAYS look brighter in pics and vids... If you're not playing with it at night, it's not gonna impress you...

I have exactly zero advice. I just wanted to make a quick comment: oh god, so many grooves. It looks like such a delight to hold!

TCSS also stocks several blank MHS compatible parts that allow you to custom machine them yourself. You might be able to make a nearly exact replica from those parts, assuming you still have access to a lathe.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I still have access to all the tools. The only thing I don't think I have is something to bore it with.

Then as master Qui-Gon mentioned, you could go with blanks, and re-cut it with the modular pieces already bored.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.