Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rusty's from-scratch Luke's ROTJ

Default Let the wiring begin

Ok, it's been a while since I've been busy at work but i was able to order some more components and get together a wiring diagram.

My goal is to have a 3 way switch: 1-ON with AC power, 2-OFF with option to charge, and 3-ON with battery power:
    WIRING SCHEMATIC.jpg

After this, i wired it up and packed it all in the housing:
    Bf-9US3mfge06W_QdibC5rwvXwVssRmaoYmfI_f_GYM.jpg
    It's very TIGHT but I'm going to fill this with hotmelt to keep everything in place.

It's alive!
    OokHrgg_lbXZFu9EPnyRUsoUUDmPtYM2mvvb9_JeukY.jpg

close up of accent LEDs:
    R9oVNm3U-9h7imf6vDUVdzwwttMypquzue8Io-VfPEI.jpg

Now I just need to shorten all my wires, order a blade, batteries, AC port, and other misc items, and I'll have it all together.

Default Wiring and Finishing touches

I've been busy lately but i finally got around to getting the wiring all sorted out:

made a battery pack from 4 AAA nimh batteries:
    IMG_20121114_135323.jpg

soldered wires to AC/charging port:
    IMG_20121114_135304.jpg

Added charging port to base of hilt:
    IMG_20121114_135530.jpg

Very impressive for a first build. A tweak I would recommend for future builds would be tap the recharge port flush without the nut. Also, I would get rid of that electric tape around that battery pack. That is somewhat of a hazard. Heat shrink is best suited for that task. Great job though. Not to many first time builders you see with your natural abilities. I will be watching for what you come with next.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Default finally finished

Thanks for the encouraging words. It never even crossed my mind to thread the charging port into the base. Definitely gonna do that next time, might give inducton charging a try next time.....

This entire assembly has a good weight to it. I can balance the entire thing on my finger as far down the blade as possible for a near perfect balance. I might set it up and take a pic.

well, onto the final results!

In this picture, i didn't have the set screw tightened for the blade so it looks like its sagging. Also going to get some of that clear cellophane from Michaels and hopefully even out the blade
    IMG_20121117_093417.jpg

IMG_20121117_093450.jpg

charging port
    IMG_20121117_093506.jpg

one thing that bugged me was the cheapo LEDs I got on amazon. The red one went out after I fully encapsulated the control box with epoxy. It would have required destroying the box on the mill, possibly that whole section.
    IMG_20121117_093539.jpg
    Another thing that bugs me is that switch cover. its held in with a screw so i may fabricate a new one in the future, but it has a nice quality feel to it.

I know the original ROTJ blade holder didn't look like this, but it looked too cool on the TCSS site so i improvised a little.
    IMG_20121117_093824.jpg

I have a few ideas for a display stand that i might be making in the future, I'll post whatever i make. I'm not sure what to do for my next saber, maybe a double ended, i dunno. I will keep an eye out for some more elaborate design ideas. Since I have full use of our CNC bed mill, I might try to get tricky in the future.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Very nice!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Very nicely done sir
    Olc-Pa Mabec

+1, good job
    Clicky Sig =>