Thread: Forward or reverse speaker?

Default Forward or reverse speaker?

Hey all, need some opinions.

Working on a build using a crystal chamber piece, a 3" extension, and the spike pommel (style 3). I'm using speaker mount 4 in the pommel, and there is an activation box style 14 in the 3" extension.

Okay, so the fun part: trying to decide if the speaker would be best rear-firing or reverse fired up through the switch area and out the crystal chamber. Either way I expect to get sound out of both the end and the chamber. Thoughts?

SaberBuilder_render.jpg

Thanks!
    Last edited by TrypWyr; 09-19-2012 at 09:49 AM.

If you don't expect to cover the chamber while gripping the saber, I'd say reverse-mount. The holes in the chamber are much larger than those in the pommel, so you're going to have more sound escaping that way.

That was my thought as well. There is a separate grip area so the crystal chamber shouldn't be covered often.

Thanks for the input, BlessedWrath!

You'll definitely get sound out or either end even with mounting the speaker in the traditional rear facing style. What I usually do is modify the mount by drilling holes in the backaide to allow.the speaker to vent out the rear of the mount, essentially turning the entire hilt into a resonance chamber. The same concept should apply to your crystal chamber as well.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

If you're going to listen to anyone, Jay-gon Jinn is a good one to choose. There are some people who just don't skimp on their builds; he is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    You'll definitely get sound out or either end even with mounting the speaker in the traditional rear facing style. What I usually do is modify the mount by drilling holes in the backaide to allow.the speaker to vent out the rear of the mount, essentially turning the entire hilt into a resonance chamber. The same concept should apply to your crystal chamber as well.
    This is right, if your internals have room to breathe then it doesn't matter too much which way the speaker is mounted.

But if i may throw in my opinion, i never liked mounting the speaker in the pommel, ive always thought since the lightsaber blade would be making all the humming and clashing sounds, having the speaker fire upwards into the crystal chamber just seems to emulate that better than pommel speakers

I totally agree, but most sabers are gripped at or near the emitter, which would muffle the sound. I didn't think this was the case with my saber, but I checked my grip before assembling it. Sure enough, I grab the saber right where the speaker would have to go, in either single or two-hand grip. If the LED module didn't have to go where it does, it would be a little easier to accomplish an emitter-mounted speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by koko kama View Post
    This is right, if your internals have room to breathe then it doesn't matter too much which way the speaker is mounted.

But if i may throw in my opinion, i never liked mounting the speaker in the pommel, ive always thought since the lightsaber blade would be making all the humming and clashing sounds, having the speaker fire upwards into the crystal chamber just seems to emulate that better than pommel speakers
    This is why you drill discreet or hidden vent holes near the emitter. You'll get sound from everywhere on the hilt that way.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.