Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: JSS & LDM Copper & Carbon Fiber Saber (CCF1)

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Default JSS & LDM Copper & Carbon Fiber Saber (CCF1)

Copper & Carbon Fiber Saber

This is a collaboration between JudgeSabersmith and myself. As many know, we have collaborated frequently over the past couple of years. In this saber's case, the Master of Dremel-Fu created this saber from copper pipe. It is about 1.25" OD nominal, which means it is on par size-wise with Korbanth hilts. It is deceptively small...seriously, you can't tell by looking at the pictures. The detail is absolutely gorgeous and IMO it is some of Judge's finest work. It is made up of a core and two exceptionally intricately textured and weathered shrouds. He also liberally used textured Carbon Fiber mesh. How on Earth could I do this thing justice? You know how we sometimes mention "Master-level" installs? Yeah...this would be one. Well, I started by (internally) machining it to handle any electronics...yes, internal real estate is muy scarce. Next, I developed the dual crystal chamber. This one houses two stained Quartz points (big ones). One is stained Teal and one Green. Also had to figure out what the heck to do with the switches. I always like the "Activation Stud" idea. It is mentioned in many of the EU books and always makes sense to me. I also always seem to use it on JSS collaborative sabers, lol. In this case, the studs were made in the vein of the Orbital Machining TPM red knobs. I made them from the same steel buttonhead screws that hold the shrouds on for continuity. They work great and look like they belong, so I am happy. Finally, I went with an AWESOME Tri-Rebel LED, rectangular speaker (Like the WAT TPMs as well) and Crystal Pommel. She came out VERY heavy (no surprise there). I would say that this one will end up being a shelf queen or belt hanger due to how gorgeous and delicate (copper is soft after all) it is. As far as custom sabers go, this one is as high end as I have ever seen, she is chalk full of features and I hope I did Judge's creation justice.

Particulars:
    Real Copper Hilt
    PCv2.0 (lightmeat)
    GGW Tri-Rebel
    Dual Quartz Crystal Chamber
    7.4V Li-ion with 2.1mm recharge/kill in grip section
    Crystal Pommel
    HO rectangular speaker

The BMT:

The Glams:

The Detail and FoC:

All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

That's very lovely. Was the copper texturing all done with a dremel? I can't even imagine how long that would take...

Congrats on yet another outstanding saber, to you and JSS!
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    That's very lovely. Was the copper texturing all done with a dremel? I can't even imagine how long that would take...

Congrats on yet another outstanding saber, to you and JSS!
    I believe he did indeed do it all with a Dremel. Thanks man.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams

the master of dremel fu strikes again with another great saber! I always love the overlays you do!
    ...YUP!

This saber is a work of art! Hats off to LDM and judgesabersmith! To all the new people who may not recognize judge, you definitely need to search the forums! I think he goes by Jonitus on these forums but he has created some of the most outstanding pieces of work in our hobby, too many pieces to even begin to list.
    Last edited by ElbE121; 08-24-2012 at 04:20 AM.

For those of you who are new Jon Judge is one of the original Masters in this hobby and when he graces us with another unique Masterpiece it is always a treat...add to that that this is a collaboration of Masters with LDM and whoever is very fortunate to get this will have a true work of art and the subtleties and workmanship of this that may not be so obvious in photos will be very much appreciated in hand...I so much wish I wasn't poor. -sigh-

Quote Originally Posted by Onli-Won Kanomi View Post
    For those of you who are new Jon Judge is one of the original Masters in this hobby and when he graces us with another unique Masterpiece it is always a treat...add to that that this is a collaboration of Masters with LDM and whoever is very fortunate to get this will have a true work of art and the subtleties and workmanship of this that may not be so obvious in photos will be very much appreciated in hand...I so much wish I wasn't poor. -sigh-
    Well said. This saber is a work of art. Congrats Jon and LDM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Very Nice. That shroud is impressive.
    "If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal."

LDM, how have you been man? This saber is absolutely amazing, just amazing. I love the texture in the copper and I really love the dual crystal chamber. WOW!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Thanks everyone! I am sure that Judge is suitably humbled by the kind words as well