Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Personalization, Custom Shrouds, Etc.

Default Personalization, Custom Shrouds, Etc.

I'm fairly new and I have to say that some of the things you guys/gals create here are astonishing. I've been reading the forum posts (as well as checking other construction sites) for a few weeks now and I've come to a bit of an existential crisis that is keeping me from beginning a project. I want to start simple (as has been recommended) but I also want a chance to be creative and actually use my tools to personalize a saber. It seems to me that starting with the MHS and appropriate electronics kits would be the way to go for a beginner but I don't see a lot of threads for personalization tips to make a MHS hilt look less generic. It's like seeing A + (something) = C and not knowing what the in between process involves. I have read some stuff on using a dremel tool to cut sinkpipe or PVC but not a lot of indepth discussion on sizes (diameter), other potential materials, problems with materials, anything like that. It seems like shrouds are the quickest way to make an MHS hilt look less like a MHS hilt but I'm a little intimidated and that is what's stopping me from proceeding at the moment.

I have read the tutorials, Dottore's n00b basic saber building post and all that. I apologize if I'm missing something obvious I've done nothing else in my spare time for days but read these forums. Fascinating stuff, you guys are really artists and craftsmen. Thanks in advance for any advice you are willing to offer!
    Last edited by Sumar; 08-21-2012 at 08:28 AM.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MH...rial-P468.aspx is excellent material for making a shroud. It fits perfectly over MHS pieces, and takes a polish quite well.

You can also use 22 guage 1.5" sinktube. It's pretty thin stuff, and has a tendency to open up if you cut it lengthwise, but it fits great over MHS as well.

I still haven't found any PVC pipe that fits perfectly over MHS without modification. I have found some that fits over 1.5" sinktube, which works well for a double-layered shroud.

My recommendation is to get your shroud material, whichever you choose, and tape a piece of graph paper around it. Draw on the paper to design your cuts. Remove the paper and clean up your design, and then see how it looks again. It's better to go through a dozen sheets of paper than it is to start cutting a design that just doesn't look as good as you originally thought. When you're satisfied with the design, firmly attach the paper to your shroud material. I use a glue stick. Then carefully cut with your dremel or other appropriate tools, leaving room for filing and polishing. Always cut outside the lines, never on them. You can always remove material, but you can never add more.

Take your time, be patient. It's worth the extra effort.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Welcome, bud!
    I'm a noob, too but have built sabers. I agree on the shroud-the quickest and most obvious personalization.
    First, decide on your material. PVC is the first choice, as it's easier to cut and shape--and pipe is already hollow. Cut your teeth on that, then move
    up to metal. With PVC, all you really need is a Dremel. With metal--you're getting into milling equipment.
    Find a piece of PVC pipe or fitting that has an inside diameter (I D.) That is closest to the outside diameter (O.D.) of your saber body--even if the PVC I.D. is a tad larger, it's easy to compensate with tape, epoxy, putty, etc.
    Let us know what you've got in mind--l'd love to see your designs.
    If you need any Photoshop help--shoot me a PM and I'll help you out.

Cheers,
    Rob
    LIGHTSABER=to hack, swing, slash, slice, dice and dismember limbs!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

You can also order parts customized by Strydur. You must email him your desired changes first though
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Thanks Dottore, that was actually another question I had. I would imagine that you have to be pretty specific with measurements and what you're looking for. That seems a little daunting as well, especially if you're shelling out money and you goof up your specs. What program/format would you need to use so send in a custom request? Photoshop?
    Sumar

Don't let using a dremel intimidate you. I highly recommend getting the flex shaft attachment. This is an invaluable tool that will allow you to make some intricate cuts. A simple little thing I do is keep my cut off wheels. As they start to wear down you can use the smaller diameter to get into tighter places. Having a good template of what you're looking to cut is always a big help. And most important of all is to always cut to the outside of your line. Remember you can always take more off....you can't put it back! Good luck with your first build and welcome
    There's a difference between knowing the path.....and walking the path.

Thanks I was actually planning on getting a flex attachment based on someone's previous post. It actually might have been you!
    Sumar

A Dremel bench top stand us also another great option--keeps the Dremel steady for other cuts.
    Also think about a small table vise to hold objects.
    LIGHTSABER=to hack, swing, slash, slice, dice and dismember limbs!

Quote Originally Posted by Sumar View Post
    Thanks Dottore, that was actually another question I had. I would imagine that you have to be pretty specific with measurements and what you're looking for. That seems a little daunting as well, especially if you're shelling out money and you goof up your specs. What program/format would you need to use so send in a custom request? Photoshop?
    You can use something as simple as pencil and paper, scan it, and email it to Tim. and make notes (with dimensions on it)
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I'm not into a generic MHS look myself, but some basic custom modification can go a long way. Like a little lathing of one of the MHS blade holders. Of course now we also have blank blade holders, pommels, chokes, and extensions.