Thread: Powering a MR board with Li-ion batter pack

Noah Thomas

Default Powering a MR board with Li-ion batter pack

I would just like to ask whoever may be reading this which LI-ion battery pack from TCSS I would use to power a MR Luke ROTJ board. I'm talking about the battery packs in blue heat shrink with the JST connectors. Which would I use with this board?

Okay, gonna try and give back a little advice here... please let me know if I'm wrong, guys!

I believe the MR boards like around 4.5-6v input. LINK With a li-ion pack from the store, you would be looking at either 3.7v (too low), or 7.4v (too high). My solution for my son's saber was to use a 5v voltage regulator before the board. Gets a little hot, but works great!

Tryp

Alternatively you could consider using a NiMh battery pack.
    4 NiMh batteries would give you 4.8V which is perfect for MR/Hasbro boards and longer runtime compared to LiIon in the same format.
    The only drawback is that the shop doesn't have pre-assembled NiMh battery packs, so you would need a battery holder if you don't feel like assembling a pack by yourself.

3 options: 1- as Don se Wion pointed out a 4.8v NiMh would work. 2- Also as Tryp did a 7.4v Li-ion with a 5V voltage-regulator. 3- (waves hand like jedi) A 3.7v will be fine. I would go with the 18650 for longer run-time. This method was perfected by LDM. Smaller, easier, and more compact than the other methods.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Thomas View Post
    I would just like to ask whoever may be reading this which LI-ion battery pack from TCSS I would use to power a MR Luke ROTJ board. I'm talking about the battery packs in blue heat shrink with the JST connectors. Which would I use with this board?
    Use the 18650 3.7 V pack. AJX is correct, It is the only legit option
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Noah Thomas

Thank you to everyone who responded I am going to go with the 18650 3.7 v pack, see how that goes.

Noah Thomas

Now I have another question. The pack which I intend to use comes with a JST connector. In order to charge this, would you (the people) recommend I just use the JST to Tamiya charger adapter, or would you recommend using a 2.1 mm recharge port. If I were to use the recharge port, I could easily wire it with JST connectors. What is recommended?

Council Member
    Sith Lord

It depends on your build. I never use a JST to charge, but that is purely convention since I build everything with recharge ports. Neither is right, neither is wrong.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Noah Thomas

Great thanks! Recharge port it is!!!!