Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Madmaxx presents his Opus

good question ARKM. i noticed that the etch was more noticable on the side of the coathanger wire and i had to turn the shroud around afew times so i made a U shaped negitive so the etch would be even...Didnt make all that much difference because it was a further distance from the shroud,but in saying that if i had used a narrower glass jar it would work better.I even thought of trying a spiral of wire but never got around to it...i may do so in the furture though just to see if it works better.The car charger worked great though, much faster than the battery packs
    ....Don't fear the Reaper....
    ....He's just a Sith Lord that has lost his lightsaber....

Thanks for the info.

Using 6V, it only took me 30 minutes for a .014" deep etch. I had a ton of salt in the water and only etched a few small designs so that may be why is didn't take all that long to do. I like your idea of a spiral of wire to attach the negative lead to. That could be very interesting.
    Last edited by ARKM; 08-11-2012 at 08:42 PM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Blog Entries

This is too good! and helpful as I have been studying saltwater etching for the last few days for a similar design. I won't be doing scroll work but it will be a similar idea I had... Perfect execution, and design although I am biased towards Old Republic style designs.

If my build turns out half as good as yours I'll be one happy guy.

Youngling
    Youngling
    Blog Entries

very well done, i've done some "ageing" with bleach, salt, and vinegar, but this is.... a hell of a lot safer.

Stupid question to both ARKM and Madmaxx... when you do this etching, do you have to cover the edges and the inside of the piece? Or does this etching method miraculously only etch the outside?

Remember, your LED will ALWAYS look brighter in pics and vids... If you're not playing with it at night, it's not gonna impress you...

I taped up the inside just to be safe and did see a bit of etching where the alligator clip touched the shroud so just to be safe I would say yes

Yeah, it doesn't hurt to protect the inside, the edges and MHS threads (if they are MHS pieces being etched) with electrical tape. I did not tape up my test pieces in my tutorial but they had flat bottoms and the tops were above the water line so that may be why they did not get etched.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

"You are a Jedi who never knew what life was until it ran out in a big gush over your lips."

<ARKM> "May you come to the attention of those in authority"

Lol all too easy ( wheeze wheeze)

That is an amazing peice of art really, most impressive
    Clicky Sig =>