Thread: In-hilt recharge question.

Default In-hilt recharge question.

While I don't plan on doing in hilt recharge since I went with the normal Li-Ion cells in m saber, I was curious as to why it is recommended that the normal cell type set-ups should not be recharged in hilt. I believe the trustfire cells are PCB protected, so what is the issue?
    H - "Your shelter is secure, is it?"
    M - "Of course it is! See for yourself just how powerless you are!"
    H - "Roger that."
    M - O_O

Quote Originally Posted by CGompertz09 View Post
    While I don't plan on doing in hilt recharge since I went with the normal Li-Ion cells in m saber, I was curious as to why it is recommended that the normal cell type set-ups should not be recharged in hilt. I believe the trustfire cells are PCB protected, so what is the issue?
    Individually protected cells shouldn't be recharged in series because if one finishes charging first it will cut the circuit before the second finishes. They need to be in a pack with a single pcb so the charge is balanced.
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Starwaster View Post
    Individually protected cells shouldn't be recharged in series because if one finishes charging first it will cut the circuit before the second finishes. They need to be in a pack with a single pcb so the charge is balanced.
    Makes sense. But there isn't really a safety issue?
    H - "Your shelter is secure, is it?"
    M - "Of course it is! See for yourself just how powerless you are!"
    H - "Roger that."
    M - O_O

Quote Originally Posted by CGompertz09 View Post
    Makes sense. But there isn't really a safety issue?
    The only other applicable issue I'm aware of with the protected cells is that you're probably putting them in a battery holder as they have no tabs for soldering. I've seen at least a few posts by knowledgeable people on the forums who advise against wiring a recharge port to a battery holder as the batteries might come loose in the holder and short during charging.
    Last edited by Kevin Starwaster; 08-12-2012 at 03:10 PM.
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.

Kevin is of course, correct. It was also said by a member that is no longer here that leaving those Trustfire's in the holder for long periods of time could damage the pcb, since 14500's are actually a bit longer than aa's and the pressure from the springs might damage the pcb. I've never seen it happen, but it doesn't mean it can't. Better to err on the side of caution than to risk having a cell become damaged and possibly leak, which could result in a fire.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.