Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Build Log: Darth Malgus saber (From the Blur Studios Trailers)

Default Build Log: Darth Malgus saber (From the Blur Studios Trailers)

This is my first MHS saber and i had to use other components to be able to get the look i wanted.

First of all i started with this picture, which is a render that i got from Flagwaver from the RPF, it is a direct render of the hilt from the cinematic trailer Deceived.

This a screen from one of the Trailers

So i started like this:

But since there was other components available i mixed and matched. I had to paint a few things my self to make them look like this:

And here is a partial result

Side by side

After i got to that point i added the electronics:

PC2.0
    7.4v (2 X 18650's)
    LEDengin 10W Red (Full powah setup 4 dice @1000ma each)
    Recharge port
    Rice port
    premium speaker
    Chasis parts
    TOR Font Darkness returns by Nightstorm

Here is a short video of the hilt LINK

I had to make a special lens and led holder because the MSH one doesn't fit the emitter i have. And will post a new video once that is complete.

Thanks.

Wow! Nice job, not 100% a replica, but I love the blades on that thing. I've loved that look since I saw the trailer the first time. I'm going to make my own blades for my saber, as I can only find one source for a readily available blade in that style. Where'd you pick those up at?

EDIT:::Rewatched the video. I know where now, lol.
    Last edited by Darth Derg; 08-12-2012 at 10:13 PM.

LOL.. thanks... i'm still waiting on the modified LED & lens holder... hopefully ill get it this week... for now i have designed the activation box (non functional) that is seen on the side... I also designed a sleeve for the pommel that goes on top of the square one... ill have to modify the square pommel too... like so:

This is how it will look, minus the screws that will hold it in place...

Thanks.

looks awesome! And if you are ever in the kitchen it probably slices and dices with those evil looking blade fins!! I love it
    ....Don't fear the Reaper....
    ....He's just a Sith Lord that has lost his lightsaber....

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
    looks awesome! And if you are ever in the kitchen it probably slices and dices with those evil looking blade fins!! I love it
    LOL quite honestly you could... Thanks

I didn't show this but here are some pics of the building process

Here are a few screenshots of the hilt , im using a temporary solution for the led and lens holder, it's not very stable but good enough for show.

The saber plug is temporary too but it looks similar to what im building. Thanks.

ahh progress... the pommel modification is ready, half of the activation box too... I just need a few more pieces to complete it.

Well i did it... i went for the single piece leather wrap... with Herrinbong stich, or something like that... i liked it...

It's the first time i have done something like this.

So the pommel is taking shape... i still need to find someone to make me the sleeve. Here are a few more screens

Looking good Gucabe!! I'm real interested to see how your pommel turns out.
    There's a difference between knowing the path.....and walking the path.

You said on your first post that you had to paint some parts. With what kind of paint/color did you do that ?
    I tried on the parts I just got with some leather ink I have. It works too great on belt buckles made of brass. But does not stays on aluminum unfortunatelly.

Great job by the way, even if Malgus' saber is not my favorite (I'd prefer his Master's Lord Vindican one )

Quote Originally Posted by Arryck Corso View Post
    Looking good Gucabe!! I'm real interested to see how your pommel turns out.
    Thanks, i've contacted several sources and i'm in the process of selecting the right one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finngarh View Post
    You said on your first post that you had to paint some parts. With what kind of paint/color did you do that ?
    I tried on the parts I just got with some leather ink I have. It works too great on belt buckles made of brass. But does not stays on aluminum unfortunatelly.

Great job by the way, even if Malgus' saber is not my favorite (I'd prefer his Master's Lord Vindican one )
    Well the main body for example i just primed it really well (3 coats ) using rustoleum's 2x primer then i used a Satin finish black from the same brand, but i spray it in a way that it leaves some texture, just enough not to get fully covered and i do this in intervals of 20 minutes each coat. 4 coats is good enough... then leave it alone for 24 hrs... dont touch it... trust me.
    Eventually i was suggested to add some leather and its covered now LOL

For the pommel i got a bright finish nickel because the fins look different color than aluminum... did not turn out like i thought it would. I was hoping for a more yellowish color. I need another paint.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Gucabe; 08-19-2012 at 04:19 PM.