Thread: Soldering Resistors onto the Petit Crouton

Default Soldering Resistors onto the Petit Crouton

So after doing reading on the petit crouton I decided to use it on my next build. I read the manual "cover to cover" a few times and it's a wonderful source of information. There's one part though that is a bit vague. It has a detailed section on resistors but not how to wire them onto the board. I read the section on resistor pads but I myself am not familiar on how to solder something like that and my Internet/forum searches only yield threads on calculating resistors. If someone could show a picture or explain how the resistors are wired onto the board I'd be very happy.

The resistors on the PC 2.0 are very small and can be difficult to solder. They look like this when soldered to the board:

The process is about the same as soldering anything else, pre-tin the pads, then add the resistor. I usually solder one side first, then the other. You'll want some really small tweezers to hold onto the resistor with.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Wow that is tiny. Ok that clears up my confusion. So both pins of the resistors are soldered onto the pad, then the led is wired onto the board like all others.

The resistor pads on the PC 2.0 board are already bridged. If you're not comfortable with surface mount soldering, you can just use a regular resistor inline with the accent LEDs. It takes up a little more space, but it's far easier when you're starting out.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    The resistor pads on the PC 2.0 board are already bridged. If you're not comfortable with surface mount soldering, you can just use a regular resistor inline with the accent LEDs. It takes up a little more space, but it's far easier when you're starting out.
    I do this and I am good with a soldering gun, just easier and less time consuming for the same result.