Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: G.O.T.H. 1st Saber - Red Shadow (starting)

It's not per die.

In electronics (regardless of the component) you have voltage and you have current (measured in amps). In this case, the components are LEDs.

If you wire the LED dies in series then voltage is split between them and you want to make sure that the voltage provided is enough to supply all of them. In series means that you wire from one die's positive to the next die's negative. (example wiring: board- to die1-, die1+ to die2-, die2+ to board+)

If you wire them in parallel then the current is being split. In parallel is how yours is wired. From the board+ to each die+ and then from the various board- to each die-.

So your 2A are being divided six ways. Split evenly, each die would be getting 333.33... mA. Adjusting current to each die is how color mixing is achieved. The more current, the brighter the output of each die. Again, assuming that you're going for some particular color that's not whitish, then you're not splitting evenly - how much each die actually gets depends on what color you're going for. Unless your board somehow has multiple individual LED drivers built into it then that's the scenario you're looking at.

(idea: wire each like color die in series. That will add wiring back and forth between each end of the saber. So each like color pair would be in series making 3 groups and those 3 groups would be in parallel. The net result would be that each die would be sharing current with its counterpart but splitting voltage. I have totally not even tried to work out the math as I don't know what the max voltage provided by your driver is)

The above is not relevant to Darth Ryo's issue for reasons stated below but is retained for any informative value.

Regarding the space issue (act. box, switches).... I have to resort to guessing here but if that's a short momentary and if the Igniter is as thick as I think it is then you *should* be able to but just barely. But not having handled one physically I'm not sure what its thickness is.

Edit #2: Ok I feel like an idiot now. Apparently that's what the TruColor addon is; another two constant current drivers to drive the other two dice at full current. Sorry Ryo, never mind what I said before, should work out fine exactly as you have it in your diagram aside from your battery lifetime. The current IS split in parallel though so whatever you configure for each die will be split in half. The other thing I said about it setting each color by adjusting current also seems to be wrong so I guess it's adjusting brightness by PWM.... which is pretty sweet.
    Last edited by Kevin Starwaster; 08-12-2012 at 10:37 PM.
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.

No problem at all
    From what I read here, you're far from being an idiot hehe, no worries then
    I would even ungrey that comment of yours cause it is still good information, and exactly stuff that I'm currently learning. So thanks a lot for posting and helping me!

Regarding the space, I guess I have no other choice but to try. I saw people cram so many things in small hilt spce that I feel like, "c'mon, should be ok, that board is tiny". But that the first one I have ever handled so well.. I still have some backup plan if it's not fitting.
    Clicky Sig =>

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ryō View Post
    No problem at all
    From what I read here, you're far from being an idiot hehe, no worries then
    I would even ungrey that comment of yours cause it is still good information, and exactly stuff that I'm currently learning. So thanks a lot for posting and helping me!

Regarding the space, I guess I have no other choice but to try. I saw people cram so many things in small hilt spce that I feel like, "c'mon, should be ok, that board is tiny". But that the first one I have ever handled so well.. I still have some backup plan if it's not fitting.
    I've also seen people on here cram a PC on top of an 18650 in the ribbed/ribbed grooved extension pieces, but when the time came to try it myself, I wasn't comfortable doing that as it was kind of mashed unprotected against bare metal. Since then I've been steered towards M&M Minis tubes for speaker holders and I've since experimented with those a bit and they could be used as insulation. Mine is the PC 1.6 with those bulky swing sensors so it's a bit thicker... the board you have is supposed to be a lot thinner, so that could be another possible mounting point for you.

BTW, going back to the LED wiring, I'd suggest not to configure for full power until you're confident that both LEDs are fully wired to avoid accidentally putting to much power through a single die.
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.

I just bought an Igniter R3 w/ TrueColor and am about to undertake the same idea! One board, 2 speakers, 2 LEDEngin RGBA's, I want to use lit momentay anti-vandals one in the center and one close to the blade end of both sides, charge port and a 7.4 18650 battery pack. I am really interested in how your build is going Ryo! I follow with great anticipation!!!

Well I look on eagerly to both Ryo and LionOJudahs builds. Not very often you see double bladed lightsabers. So it will be good to see a few made in the flesh..err aluminum.

Ryo, by the way what is the board connecting the batteries and the recharge port?

That would be the Protection Circuit Board (PCB) which is needed for Li-Ion packs. http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/PC...acks-P482.aspx

It helps prevent overdischarge of the pack and keeps the individual cells properly balanced.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

What SS said I bought unprotected batt, so I added the 7,4v PCB that TCSS sells.

@ LionOJudah : that's great, I'll be also very interested in your build, looking forward to it And for sure I'll keep you posted about mine!

Overall update:
    Part order and custom jobs are still under discussion with Tim (meanwhile I'm on vacations ^^).
    I might also send my Igniter R2 for upgrade to Naigon, since it's still unwired, why not put R3 on it.

I'll try to finish some schetches by end of the week to give a better idea of the whole project.
    Clicky Sig =>

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ryō View Post
    What SS said I bought unprotected batt, so I added the 7,4v PCB that TCSS sells.

@ LionOJudah : that's great, I'll be also very interested in your build, looking forward to it And for sure I'll keep you posted about mine!

Overall update:
    Part order and custom jobs are still under discussion with Tim (meanwhile I'm on vacations ^^).
    I might also send my Igniter R2 for upgrade to Naigon, since it's still unwired, why not put R3 on it.

I'll try to finish some schetches by end of the week to give a better idea of the whole project.
    When do you think you might begin construction? I'm curious to see how some aspects of your build work out...