Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Building my very first blade

Default Building my very first blade

After years of searching and waiting and thinking: "maybe some day", the day has finally come that I'm gonna build my very first saber!
    Through this thread I like to keep you guys and garls posted on how everything is going.
    A little break-down of what the idea of the blade is:
    It's gonna be a Sith Lord lightsaber to fit with the costume I'm composing. Not a known sith lord, just myself.
    The blade is gonna be extended a bit, wit a grip point at the end of the extension.
    The main feature I wanted to build into it was it having an LED switch which will turn on as I turn on the blade.
    Both blade and LED will be red, of course.

Here is a list of the items I'm gonna order.
    Please notify me if I'm missing ANYTHING AT ALL!
    - 7" Fluted with standard style switch hole (and service to drill it for AV switch)
    - Ribbed / Choke Combo
    - Screw on LED blade holder style 23 (and service to drill it for blade holder screw)
    - MPS Pommel style 3 v1
    - MPS insert style 12 (as soon as it is available in shop again)
    - MPS Clip
    - 4AA Battery holder (Already got 4 rechargeable batteries)
    - Rebel Star LED & MHS Heatsink Module (Luxeon Rebel Star (Red))
    - BuckPuck 700mA 4-wire
    - 16mm Anti Vandal Latching Red Ring Switch (short)
    - 8-32 x 1/4" Set screw
    - 5/64" Allen wrench
    - Dual 24 gauge wire (2 foot, you never know)
    - 220ohm 1/4w resistor
    - 1/8" Adhesive lined heatshrink tubing (again: 2 foot to be sure)
    - LED "Corbin style" Battle blade 1" OD (36 inches) double wrap with standard top
    - 1" Hilt safety plug (trans white)
    I'm gonna order this all as soon as the MPS insert style 12 is available again
    Last edited by thirdbasscode; 08-08-2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Chance of items to order

You can't use the short AV switch with the AV bezel. If you want the short switch all you need is the hilt drilled for AV. If you really want the bezel for design aesthetics, then you will need a long AV switch.

Thanks for the tip, wasn't sure about it in the first place.
    Even if I choose to use an AV bezel (out of cosmetic choice), do I still need the drilling?
    Henceforth, I shall be known as Darth Sion:
    A powerful warrior, sustained by the very pain that should have been my destruction. My very life depends on it.
    Countless Jedi may strike me down, only for me to rise again and destroy them. My life is tied to the force, and as long as it lives, I cannot die.

That I'm not sure of, I don't know the diameter of the standard hole to know if the end of the long AV will fit through.

Well, for now I have removed it from my item list and will instal the AV switch without bezel. This because the switch design I want to use is not available as a long one.
    A powerful warrior, sustained by the very pain that should have been my destruction. My very life depends on it.
    Countless Jedi may strike me down, only for me to rise again and destroy them. My life is tied to the force, and as long as it lives, I cannot die.

i saw that you asked about the hasbro boards on another post. heres the link you will need.
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ghlight=hasbro

if you dont want to deal with the flashing effect that people hate about the hasbro boards just wire your LED's power into the speaker output. i did that with a blue P$ and it looks amazing and has a nice shimmer effect

Thanks, I will look into it when I have the time.
    Is this soundboard from one of those FX blades or those el cheapo plastic things?

its the cheapo plastic ones you can get at the usual stores (which i dont believe i can mention on this forum) for $20. the best one to get is the qui-gon version. it has the exact same board as the obi-wan cheapo saber people go on and on about. the hardest part by far is getting the plastic saber open lol. i had to saw mine open because i dont have a dremmel.

Yeah, those cheapos are built like little plastic tanks. When I opened an Obi I sawed off the pommel at the seam and then cracked the two halves apart and split it like a coconut. I found the dremel wasn't very useful for me as the plastic just melted and fused itself back together as I cut.