Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried EVA Foam?

Default Has anyone tried EVA Foam?

Has anyone tried making Star Wars prop armor out of EVA foam? I've seen some pretty wicked stuff coming out of the costume community, but haven't seen anyone try to tackle Star Wars. At least not that I can tell. If you have, tell us how the build went. I'm debating giving it a try for my Jedi.
    "Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also."
    -Marcus Aurelius, one of the Five Good Emperors of Rome

you mean like pepakura type stuff? i keep trying to see if anyone has stuff for TOR jedi armor. i havent seen a whole lot. you would think costumers would be going nuts for TOR jedi armor. i'm considering it myself if i could just find out a decent method of assembly. i also dont see much in regards to TOR jedi stuff on the rebel legion site?

but yeah i think EVA foam could be a nice alternative to the usual ABS or styrene.
    NOMING YOUR POWER CABLES SINCE 2007

MHS #1 "Coppertop" CFX Neopixel
    MR 616 "Joe Jedi"
    LDM converted Korbanth LS6 (Hero with PC 1.6 and FOC)
    Vintage graflex ANH - probably staying static
    Disney Savi Saber Peace and Justice (experience was worth it)

http://paper-replika.com/index.php?o...&Itemid=200144

Use Google and you'll find even more.
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Mynock View Post
    you mean like pepakura type stuff?
    No, I mean using EVA foam to make anything. Not just Jedi/Sith armor.

http://bioweapons.wordpress.com/ <--- This guy made some fantastic cosplay armor from the Mass Effect series out of some foam. I was wondering if anyone had tried it with Star Wars related stuff, or worked with it at all. I've been wondering how difficult it is to use, some people make it look super easy.

I've seen the stormtrooper helmet, but that's it as far as I've been able to find for Star Wars EVA foam reconstruction. But even the trooper helmet is pepakura stuff. I'm trying to avoid that. As great as it is, pepakura isn't what I'm looking for.

EVA foam looks like it's easier to use than vacuum forming or resin/fiberglass casting (and looks fairly durable). I'd like to hear from someone who has used it, though, to see whether or not it'll be a good decision to use. I have a tight budget with little room for making errors. I need to make wise decisions or my accountant/wife will have a few choice words for me.
    Last edited by Skinnerman02; 08-02-2012 at 01:48 PM.
    "Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also."

Wow, those Mass Effect props and armor look good enough to be in a big screen movie.

wow! thats sick!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

We've ordered some to play with on another project. There is also a spray that you can buy to coat it with and it makes it harder than fiberglass (and stronger). We got the spray, ordered the hopper gun, can't wait to try it all out.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Youngling

Fender, do you remember the name of the spray?

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    We've ordered some to play with on another project. There is also a spray that you can buy to coat it with and it makes it harder than fiberglass (and stronger). We got the spray, ordered the hopper gun, can't wait to try it all out.
    "This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age."

Council Member
    Jedi Master

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    I was thinking about coating the build with several layers of resin, to erase any unwanted lines (like in the connecting seams). Of course, I was also planning on filling ant additional gaps with milliput, and a few coats of resin ought to keep the foam from fraying when I sand the whole thing so it's seamless and level. But I don't know how difficult, or possible, my planning will be. Hence my question. Because the Mass Effect armor is indeed sick, but he makes working with the EVA foam look so easy. And that always worries me. Because things are almost never as easy as they look.

Many people on this board make building sabers straight from the solid aluminum rods, complete with a crystal chamber, look super easy. And I know that particular project isn't as easy as it looks for someone without experience.