Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Curved Blades?

Default Curved Blades?

Hey, not sure if anyone else has asked this question (i can't find any posts for it). But I was curious if it's possible to add a curve to a LED blade (much like a cavalry sabre or a katana). I've been wanting to craft my own saber and part of my dream saber is that it has a curved blade as opposed to straight. I've curved PVC before when making a foam sword but I was wondering if this was possible with LED blades? Any and all help is appreciated.

I don't think it's possible to put a curve into polycarbonate blade.

putting a curve in a blade wouldn't be that hard,just a matter of heating bending and setting i guess but the real problem would be lighting it up properly.

Didn't think of that. Good idea. Then I would suggest getting a curved dowel and heating up the blade and slowly sliding the dowel into it..... In theory that would get you a curved blade

Do a web search for side emitting fiber optic
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.

Yeah Kevin I had an idea with that stuff for a tron style hilt using it as line accents long ways down the hilt... Isaw some when I was in Thailand last year but still haven't done anything with the idea

Curving wouldn't be too hard. I don't know how easy the curved dowel idea would be, I would probably just heat and add tension like tilling a bow. As far as lighting, you could just do a led string blade, and the shape won't matter anymore.

Polycarbonate has a glass transistion temperature of around 300 F, so you'll need to raise it above that temperature. You may need to pack the tube with something to help provide support and prevent creasing. I've heard that sand is sometimes used to pack metal tubes prior to bending them; it may work for this purpose as well.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

One more curiosity, If this doesn't work with polycarbonate (though I think it should), is there another way aside of pvc pipes to craft a curved lightsaber blade? Again, I appreciate your guy's help and I'll be sure to credit you guys when the product's finished ;D