Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Li Ion batterys

Default Li Ion batterys

Well i was just about to order a set of Li ion batteries to power my new saber when I noticed that they cannot be posted to the UK anymore. So I thought about making my own. I have found a UK seller of the 14500 batteries but need a little help. These batteries state that they are protected - does that mean I do not need to add a PCB to them?

I guess that I just put them together, tape them and add a negative wire to the bottom of the stack and a positive to the top? Whats the blue covering called that holds them together and where can you get it from.

Ta in advance.

Martin

I've never done it, but if I were going to I'd start here http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...-Battery-Packs and here http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ry-Pack-Making. Hope that helps you.

I learned all I needed about Li-ion packs in Azmaria thread which Jabbas gave you, so you will as well for sure This is a must read anyway.

In summary tho, protected batteries already included a PCB (so each cell will have one PCB), but if you wanna make a pack of them, it is not recommended => only one PCB for the whole pack.
    If you wanna build a pack then, better buy unprotected battaries, plus a PCB board like Tim is selling on the store.
    Here is how I'll wire mine.
    Batteries.JPG

I beleive the blue platic covering the cells is called Shrink wrap (Edit: heatshrink it is ) => envelop the cell in that plastic, then heat the plastic to make it shrink (with hair drier). Don't remember where i saw that thread, but it's here so if you search for it like I did, you'll find it
    Last edited by Darth Ryo; 07-25-2012 at 05:09 AM.
    Clicky Sig =>

Heatshrink is what I use to hold my batteries together. For two 14500 batteries side-by-side, you can use either 42mm flat diameter heatshrink, or 67mm flat diameter heatshrink, depending on whether you want to shrink them lengthwise or not. You may be able to find appropriate heatshrink at your UK battery shop. If not, there are several online sources.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Thanks guys thats awesome. Major problem know is where to get the cells from. Anyone from the UK know were you can get unprotected cells from? all I can find is the protected ones.

Furthest reaches of the Galaxy (Scotland)

I have been having exactly the same problem, in tracking batteries down.

I don't know if this is a recommended practice or not, but I have done it once.

Use an exacto knife to very carefully cut the heat shrink surrounding the cell
    carefully pull away the pcb (usually a small disk on the bottom) and cut or desolder the tabs to the existing PCB

Once you have done this for each cell you can then solder them to the appropriate pcb and make your own protected pack.

For instance this pratice is also described in Azmaria's thread.
    Or you could check on Conrad-UK, got mine from them in France.
    (please delete this post if this is not right to name another store here... but since we can't really buy them from here).
    Clicky Sig =>

Quote Originally Posted by Zzan View Post
    I don't know if this is a recommended practice or not, but I have done it once.

Use an exacto knife to very carefully cut the heat shrink surrounding the cell
    carefully pull away the pcb (usually a small disk on the bottom) and cut or desolder the tabs to the existing PCB

Once you have done this for each cell you can then solder them to the appropriate pcb and make your own protected pack.
    thats exactly what he should do. remove existing protection from each cell and its only the cells tim cant ship right? i'm sure he can ship the pcb. mondas could buy the 7.4v pcb from the store and use that.
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.

Well I found some unprotected ones on the bay of e's. the rest of the stuff ordered from Tim. Rechargable good-ness here we come!