Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dual speaker set up

Default Dual speaker set up

Hi all and welcome to my first thread (woot!)...anyway i have just finished the wiring on my first igniter board and was wondering if and how i could use both a premium and a 2W bass speaker for a dual speaker set up?.Is it possible and as simple as just wiring them both up in parrallel or is there more to it?

I would check with Naigon as the manual doesn't list what impedance it is capable of handling. You have to be careful with paralleling drivers as you will increase the load on the audio amp. Be mindful of the impedance of speakers you are using. To minimize the risk of overloading the amp using 4ohm drivers in serial would give a 8ohm load on the amp.

If you serial 2 8ohm drivers you will give a 16ohm load on the amp which won't hurt it, but will drastically reduce output of the speakers making the whole setup pointless. If you parallel our 8ohm speakers you will give a 4ohm load to the amp which will double the power output. As long as the amp can handle it this will give the most power to your speakers.

I'm curious to see what Naigon says as I have an R2 myself.

Tx!
    Chad.

Yeah I was thinking it over last night and I will shoot an email to naigon and let you know what he says

I'm intersted to hear about whatever you find out too.

I've read through the manual and there aren't any specifics or ratings as far as speakers are concerned. Please share whatever you find out.
    There's a difference between knowing the path.....and walking the path.

Just got word from Naigon...

4-8 ohms work fine, so 2 8ohm in parallel would be okay. 2 4 ohm in parallel would be bad

Cool.I would say my email will get the same reply. Now to go and get the speakers

Without actually looking( I'm at work) both the 2w bass and the premium speakers from tcss are 8 ohm. So I should be able to parallel them to the igniter board.i will test it out tonight when I get home

I concur as well
    I also showed a diagram to Naigon a week ago with 2 speakers (premium) in parallel and it was fine.
    Clicky Sig =>

ok so i tried it out. i used a premium and a 2w bass speaker in parrallel....not much difference other than a little clarity between the bass and the mid ranges and i mean only a little. i was thinking of placing the bass speaker in the pommel facing outward and mounting the premium speaker in the middle facing blade with sound holes in the ribbed section i will be using that way i think i will get the bass and the mid ranges from two distinctly different directions... i am still waiting for my body parts (hopefully next monday) so it is all just a theory atm

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Since nobody with any longevity has chimed in here, I will. Especially since I see a lot of wheel spinning. The key to excellent sound is good resonance. If you use two speakers in the same hilt, you will impede sound waves through interference. You will actually decrease sound quality. Think about what happens to two sign waves as they strike each other, out of phase. Also remember that sound waves do not travel uni-directionally. They travel in BOTH directions from the speaker (indeed how resonance works). BTW, this has been tried many times and there are at least two other threads around here somewhere that I can think of that show good examples.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!