Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I cant win..... :(

Default I cant win..... :(

Just venting. Here I was doing the last few tasks for completing my saber, and I break the main AV switch. Not a huge loss I figured, just order a new one and good to go. Now today I'm drilling a new hole for the blade set screw, as when the LED was installed, the emitter didn't line up the same way and the current set screw hole ended up behind the shroud. Drill the hole, no issues. Go to thread said new hole.... and the damn thread tap breaks off in the hole nearly flush, nothing to grab onto to try and twist it back out. Tried to drill it out with the strongest metal bits I have, they just skip over and hit the aluminum. And of course, the emitter is currently out of stock in the shop....... In the words of several Star Wars characters. "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
    H - "Your shelter is secure, is it?"
    M - "Of course it is! See for yourself just how powerless you are!"
    H - "Roger that."
    M - O_O

Youngling
    Youngling
    Blog Entries

ouch, that sucks, could you get it our with a center punch (while wreaking your threads) or a..... forget the name its a removal tool, has tines that go around the tap, my shop has a couple sets.... i can find out what they are called, i'll also include a picture, on monday though.

Tried a center punch, didn't work. It seems like it somehow seized when I was threading it. Not exactly sure how though. There was only the normal tension when threading, then suddenly stopped and snapped.
    H - "Roger that."
    M - O_O

Got any pictures? If it's flush with the top of the drilled hole (nothing inside where the blade goes) depending on the blade holder, would it be possible to rotate your shroud to cover up that bad hole, and make a clean one?

Sounds like a job for an EZ out screw extractor.

Best of luck in getting it out!

Rotating the shroud is out of the question. The holes for the switches and for the screws that hold the shroud in place would be left uncovered, and that would just look horrible. To keep things looking as nice as possible, I'm just going to wait until the blade holder is back in stock and get a new one.
    H - "Roger that."
    M - O_O

Youngling
    Youngling
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 174fps View Post
    Sounds like a job for an EZ out screw extractor.

Best of luck in getting it out!
    thats the one!¡ they are awesome

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Were you backing the tap off during the process? If not, that's what probably did it. Backing it off takes the tension off that's produced from the shavings building up during taping.

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

I feel for you mate. Very frustrating. The only consolation i could offer is at least you CAN buy a new part, not like it is a 70 year old, rare, Graflex, or some other part costing hundreds. Good luck on your next attempt.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had a saber like that. A huge money pit where things kept going wrong. It happens to all of us at one point in time. Take a break, get some new parts and tools, and begin again.

As far as the tap breaking, if you aren't using oil with your tap, you might want to do that. I don't use it with smaller taps like 4-40 or 6-32... but with 8-32+ it is a must I have found for reliable and clean threads.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...