4 25.00%
  • Hmm.. I got an Idea

3 18.75%
  • Why would you do that.

3 18.75%
  • This guy is full of it.

1 6.25%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: bulding 1.25 sink tube saber. (build log)

Youngling
    Youngling
    Blog Entries

2012-07-23 12.49.39.jpg2012-07-23 13.00.37.jpg

new aluminum blady guide at top, didn't like the one with the flat bit
    also redid the mesh insert, this one fits better and is about 1/4 " longer so all the holes are covered nicely.

The mesh adds a nice touch. Keep it up!
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Youngling
    Youngling
    Blog Entries

oops, broke a brass screw. in a counter-sunk hole..... oops. not gotta drill it out... it can stay. now to find somthing to cover the ugly hole....

issues with electronics.... i really need to stop experimenting with junk and get some real parts...

2012-06-28 12.41.12-1 (2).jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

"junk"can be neat to work with and very one of a kind. The only problem is if you want to repeat or replace a botched part it might not be easy to find when you're scavaging.

Youngling
    Youngling
    Blog Entries

some more work done, I have , tapped a new hole, with no help from rona, i guess they really don't know how to do it right... metric taps, but no metric drill bits... i'm still angry about the run around they gave me.

ok back to the cool stuff.

blade retention hole drilled and tapped 6-32, with a # 36 drillbit.

hilt body painted flat black.

2012-08-07 19.24.37.jpghate using my tablet on this forum..... ok 2nd base coat done, next is "rust" then gold/brass/tan color.
    i've painted it with my nice brass bladeholder in, i've got somthing up my sleeve for that....

ah yes a nice first coat.this will do nicely.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Youngling
    Youngling
    Blog Entries

tough issues;

finding anything to cap the sinktube end, will have to manufacture something...

painting lined is a pain, they look "neat" but there was leakage, not i need to re-sand and repaint so I may just try a different technique.

IMG_20120810_064506.jpgIMG_20120810_064526.jpg

Not sure what size sinktube you have. If it's 1.25", then you want a 1-1/8" hole plug. If it's 1.5", then you want a 1-3/8" hole plug.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/1-...-cap--P67.aspx
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/1-...-cap--P66.aspx

Available at TCSS or your local hardware store. I attached mine with JB-weld after bending the prongs a bit. I also didn't want it to come off again. Ever. You may want something a little less permanent.

edit: Oh duh, I just looked at the thread title. I guess you're using 1.25" sinktube. /facepalm
    Last edited by Silver Serpent; 08-10-2012 at 06:07 AM.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Youngling
    Youngling
    Blog Entries

i know so easy..... plus 27$ ish for shipping.. lols... i've checked rona, canadian tire, not home hardware though... I found a threaded cap at mro but it was 8$... and its going to take them a week to get some tip42's in. waiting again.. but i did pick up some 1" alum rod, and 1.25 think tube, so I will be using that for a sliding chassis, and bottom cap... make it all pretty and lathe the tube to fit the sink tube's smaller end.

we'll see how it goes. on the bright side, the money i'm saving is going into my mhs saber budget i've replaced the green led on my wishlist with the tri- lux green set. mmmm green......
    32721121.jpg

Youngling
    Youngling
    Blog Entries

sanded, primed (grey) and taped.. now flat black enamal on.... waiting 12 hours for it to cure (fast 30 min dry paint) in the morning i take off the tape.... prolly do another coat before i remove the tape.

note; buy clear coat finish.

I had lines painted they looked horrible, I sanded and it looked neato.. (lols) but i had decided to re finish it anyways, i'm hoping the black/grey/black will turn out nice... will see on the other note i need to get my 600 out of my tool box at work if I need to sand again for another coat.

Youngling
    Youngling
    Blog Entries

IMG_20120811_094406.jpgIMG_20120811_094716.jpg

before and after the lines come off.

Silver serpent, the mesh does add a nice touch gives me an idea for a blaster.... mmmm high tech.