4 25.00%
  • Hmm.. I got an Idea

3 18.75%
  • Why would you do that.

3 18.75%
  • This guy is full of it.

1 6.25%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: bulding 1.25 sink tube saber. (build log)

Youngling
    Youngling
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb bulding 1.25 sink tube saber. (build log)

1x 6" sink tube flanged
    1x 5.5"x 1.25" aircraft grade aluminum tubing

holes present in tubing for an machine gun air cooler (from airsoft mod)

first thing i did was sand the tubing using a drill with a small cloth over the drill bit. this held the aluminum tube, I used a random screw twisted into the cloth through one of the holes to give the tube an anchor point. 400 grit (ish maybe 360...) sanded checking for fit with the sink tube, took about 20 minutes ish.
    IMG_20120711_172802.jpg
    next step took a bit, I had to wait until I was at the shop, to talk to one of the machinists. I had the MHS new heatsink lip lathed down about 64 thou (0.064") this brought it to the size that then would fit inside the flange of the sink tube. I had the aluminum tube leftover from modding my airsoft gun, that I shortly after modding lost the mod, so I remade it again... not gonna happen again.
    IMG_20120712_232157.jpgthis image is before the modification to the led heatsink.

Now, I have been playing with my leather and coming up with various different grips, and ways to attach the hilt together.
    What I want is a mechanical latch, I just need to come up with a better way to secure the blade, right now i'm wrapping it with leather but it makes it a pain to remove and replace.

The blade is 22.40" approx its a cut down from the 2010 Hasbro Ultimate FX, until I can get some polycarbonate, as they are the same OD (outside diameter)

I am looking into finding something that has a ID (inside diameter) of 1" (blade od) that I can put on the top of my aluminum tube to secure the blade, I would also be fastening this to the tube.

until next time.

(edit to blade outside diameter from 7/8 to 1" thanks to
    Crystal Chambers )
    Last edited by mrknify; 07-20-2012 at 07:33 AM. Reason: spelling and grammer.

Youngling
    Youngling
    Blog Entries

with a little canniblization of my "problem" saber,I now move onto modding a hasbro 2009 vader pcb.

IMG_20120715_231203.jpgIMG_20120715_231221.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a decent saber. It kinda reminds me of a Looftlighter...

http://www.looftlighter.com/
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Seems like a lot of work when you can just order a sink tube blade holder from the store here. They are for 1"blades though.

Youngling
    Youngling
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Looks like a decent saber. It kinda reminds me of a Looftlighter...

http://www.looftlighter.com/
    thats awesome
    , i want one!
    as for the sink tube extension, that means waiting a month, and kinda defeats the build concept.

Quote Originally Posted by mrknify View Post
    Clone-Wars-Yoda-Wallpaper-800x600.jpg

the darkside hmmm... stronger am I!
    That's just wrong on so many levels.

Youngling
    Youngling
    Blog Entries

awesome news. aquired the 1 1/8 od 1" id aluminum tubing. tomorrow, cuts and screw holes.

Youngling
    Youngling
    Blog Entries

ok blade rings, made, not sure if I like the exit ring. I may just make a new one and see...

2012-07-20 08.17.58.jpg2012-07-20 08.18.08.jpg
    the expanded metal, is aluminum from a firstaid kit splint. There are various sizes and you can cut it with scissors I have to redo this piece, as it is no longer long enough to cleanly cover the holes.

When you look inside the tube you can see the brass screw in the 2nd image, I still have not decided if I want to make it use a slightly larger screw, but if I stick with this screw then I will have to file it down.

hopefully today I get some time to put some screws in the top blade ring.

Youngling
    Youngling
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    Seems like a lot of work when you can just order a sink tube blade holder from the store here. They are for 1"blades though.
    thanks, i put the wrong measurement down the blade is 1" od.

the blade holder, would be great if I was just using the sinktube, but I'm using an aluminum do-hickey on it alse