Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: It's pretty expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos1986 View Post
    this post made me angry.... and i will stop before I say things ill regret.
    And why would you be angry ?
    Do you own stocks for this company ?

I don't understand some peoples, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ryō View Post
    It's quite surprising to see someone complaining about prices here... and it is a rather pointless thread.

I mean, if you ever come to think about buying a lightsaber or DIY, that means you're already willing to spend money on useless stuff...
    If you're sick enough to think "why not building my own lightsaber?" (yes that is sickness in the eyes on "normal" beings ), and then come here. Did you really think it would be cheap?
    C'mon, I'm fairly new to this stuff (reading a lot atm), but I never ever imagine about questionning neither the prices, nor the quality of the products that Tim is selling! And I already know that my first saber staff will cost me close to $500...
    Plus it's not only a shop, it's also a great website, a forum where you can get help, share your passion...

Nuff said, you know the saying :
    "quand on aime on ne compte pas" (when you love, you doesn't count... works on GF too lol)
    otherwise buy something cheap and save us from useless complains that will only make the good supporters of TSCC angry...
    I can understand that fanboys feel uncomfortable reading such a post (especially after putting so much money into it, it would be contradictory to accept the fact that it's expensive).
    But I'm just using common sens here, for anyone down to earth a 7" pipe with a hole isn't worth 26US$.

You are attached to this "practice" so you don't count, but this is where I see a problem personally.
    I bet he could sell that piece 60US$ you would still say it's inexpensive, because it's your passion and you don't count. It's called monopolizing a market, and rising prices because there is no competition or barely none.

It's marketing basics (my job actually).

Quote Originally Posted by CS67700 View Post
    I can understand that fanboys feel uncomfortable reading such a post (especially after putting so much money into it, it would be contradictory to accept the fact that it's expensive).
    But I'm just using common sens here, for anyone down to earth a 7" pipe with a hole isn't worth 26US$.

You are attached to this "practice" so you don't count, but this is where I see a problem personally.
    I bet he could sell that piece 60US$ you would still say it's inexpensive, because it's your passion and you don't count. It's called monopolizing a market, and rising prices because there is no competition or barely none.

It's marketing basics (my job actually).
    Ah... false alarm, guys! Just a troll. Nothing to see here, and no feeding.

But I gotta address the two things highlighted above...
    Point A) You obviously haven't spent time around performance car or motorcycle enthusiasts, have you? Tim's saber parts are CHEAP by comparison! Same tube with a hole in it (okay, two holes, if it's for handlebars) run a couple hundred dollars AT LEAST.
    Point B) I call shenanigans. If you worked in marketing, you'd know that items will have to be priced a bit higher per unit, if there's a smaller field of customers (like I pointed out earlier, but was ignored on: there's not that many saber-smiths out there. Certainly not enough that I see Tim putting down deposits on late model Ferraris anytime soon). You should have enough business sense to realize that, if you worked in marketing. Also? Your grammar, spelling, and writing in general are not very good (kind of an important thing, for your supposed career field).

Lastly, I'm glad you found this site, and are interested in fandom the way we are; but walking into someone's store and loudly complaining about the prices, and insulting both the customers and community associated with said store, is very rude. If you find the prices for this hobby too expensive, then find a new hobby (though there aren't many that are actually much cheaper, when you get right down to it. Cars, bikes, video games... yeah, all crazy expensive). If you still want to build sabers, then show some more respect to those here, and plenty of people would be willing to give you some tips on making your project cheaper.
    Boring conversation anyway...

I almost agreed with this, back when I first discovered LED lightsabers. A quick study of the TCSS forums later, I discovered that the "expensive" parts sold here will get you a saber with far more features and functions than a fully assembled saber at "other places". I was looking at $400US for a saber with lights and sounds (RGB LED and sound card). Building my own, I can take that price down to about $300US and gain the following features:

-Custom Color/Sounds
    -Better Sound/Volume
    -Recharge Port
    -Better Batteries
    -Data Editing Port
    -Custom Switches
    -FAR Better Internals (electronics not rattling round inside)
    -Ability To Change Hilt Design At Will (depending on how many hilt parts you want to keep)
    -Real Flash on Clash (not a blade which randomly changes from red to blue when you hit something)
    -Customizable Flicker
    -Adjustable Sensitivities (Swing/clash, etc)

And these are just features offered on TCSS sabers that aren't offered by "the other guys". Let's not even get into how much better they are than the cheap plastic toys you get in the stores. Even Master Replicas dropped the ball on some points. Granted, you can get a "pretty accurate" replica for $100US from MR, but you can't duel with them, can't remove the blade, and definitely can't customize anything.

They're expensive. Yes. But they're good. I'll pay a heck of a lot of money for a quality tool, versus cheap, replaceable tools which are guaranteed to break, or not serve their intended function. I learned that lesson long ago. You get what you pay for.

Really, what it amounts to is a question of A) How realistic do you want this to be, and B) How closely are you going to look at the quality of the parts you're using? If you don't want to pay the price for heavy grade hilt parts, get some sink tube. Cobble your own blade holder. Throw on some switches and knobs. Make it look how you want on your terms. I plan on doing that eventually, myself. But, please, don't start raining fire on the store owner for offering superior materials.

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoCartman View Post
    Ah... false alarm, guys! Just a troll. Nothing to see here, and no feeding.

But I gotta address the two things highlighted above...
    Point A) You obviously haven't spent time around performance car or motorcycle enthusiasts, have you? Tim's saber parts are CHEAP by comparison! Same tube with a hole in it (okay, two holes, if it's for handlebars) run a couple hundred dollars AT LEAST.
    Point B) I call shenanigans. If you worked in marketing, you'd know that items will have to be priced a bit higher per unit, if there's a smaller field of customers (like I pointed out earlier, but was ignored on: there's not that many saber-smiths out there. Certainly not enough that I see Tim putting down deposits on late model Ferraris anytime soon). You should have enough business sense to realize that, if you worked in marketing. Also? Your grammar, spelling, and writing in general are not very good (kind of an important thing, for your supposed career field).

Lastly, I'm glad you found this site, and are interested in fandom the way we are; but walking into someone's store and loudly complaining about the prices, and insulting both the customers and community associated with said store, is very rude. If you find the prices for this hobby too expensive, then find a new hobby (though there aren't many that are actually much cheaper, when you get right down to it. Cars, bikes, video games... yeah, all crazy expensive). If you still want to build sabers, then show some more respect to those here, and plenty of people would be willing to give you some tips on making your project cheaper.
    If you'd bother to read the entire thread, you'd know my native language is not english.
    So excuse me if I butchered the language of Shakespeare (which I believe I didn't, but in your anger you must have noticed a few mistakes and turned them into mountains to criticize me).

Also, I'm not a troll, I'm just a Star Wars fan.
    But entitle me whatever you want if that makes you feel any better, I couldn't care less.

I can't possibly compare motorcycle parts to movie props.
    Same as comparing a house price to it, but again, if that makes you feel any better ...

I just explained the basics of exploiting a niche market in the post above, if you can't acknowledge that then there is nothing I can do for you.

Also, I don't recall "insulting" someone here ?
    So, saying something is expensive and arguing about the price is being "insulting" in your country ? Thank god I don't live there then.

But I have an idea.
    Forget everything I said, obviously I'm talking to a brick wall.

After accusing me of "insults" and "trolling" I don't know what else you will make up in your next post to discredit me.
    So I give up now rather than being accused of something else.

I'll just leave this link to a Youtube video here and be on my way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx7Z5...feature=relmfu
    H - "Your shelter is secure, is it?"
    M - "Of course it is! See for yourself just how powerless you are!"
    H - "Roger that."
    M - O_O

Quote Originally Posted by CS67700 View Post
    Thank god I don't live there then.
    Well I think we can all agree on this.

Youngling
    Youngling
    Blog Entries

who walks into a mans home and kicks his dog. just sayin.

CS67700, feel free to go have these parts custom machined at a machine shop and then you will know what expensive is.
    If you think you can do it better/cheaper, then by all means, spend the money to buy the machines and make the parts.
    Or, go to the hardware store and buy some tubing and drill a hole in it. That'll look good...

There is a simple math formula for Saber names.-----------------------To check out the sound fonts I've made:
    ((Force-Dark Side)xEnglish^awesome)/Force)xLanguage[X].---------http://www.youtube.com/user/DarthXusia1/videos
    Quote from mihunai----------------------------------------------------------If you are interested in any of them, please PM me.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

My dog would take his leg off... just sayin..

I am going to lock this pointless thread now.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop