Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: It's pretty expensive

As is probably obvious, TCSS has won many fans, and that does not come from producing average, or even above average quality. I think if you actually got to hold an assembled saber from TCSS, in whatever combination of parts, in your hands, you might see the reason why this store is patronised so greatly. And as far as value for money, or even cost in general, is concerned, hold up any precision machined aluminium piece from TCSS against a piece of hardware shop plumbing, or ,yes, even a genuine Graflex (from a purely empirical point of view) the finish, and certainly strength and weight are vastly better.(To prevent being shot on sight, this is PURELY my opinion only)

I am pretty new to saber building and i will admit that the first time i built my own saber i ended up going to another "cheaper" site for my parts and whilst the saber turned out Ok my first TCSS saber blew it out of the water!.You pay for what you get and if you want quality then honour the man (Tim) and pay for it.I am now onto my fourth saber build now and the soundboard alone cost me $200! and i can't wait to fire it up for the first time because i know i am gonna appreciate the quality and effort that went into its design..The hilt i have planned will cost another $300-$400 and yes it is alot to pay for but i am just doing it in stages..it IS a hobby after all.Great work Tim and i hope you keep it up

This hobby is cheaper then alot of others... Car's, Boat's, model train's, dirt bike riding, comic books, fishing, guns, video games, even stamp collecting... You get the point.

After you have built your first MHS saber you will feel different but if you don't there is always other hobbys . this hobby as well as others will have people you will enjoy chatting with as well as learning from and teaching. Money will come and go but the lives you touch will be around alot longer and worth more then money

Oh and one more thing theare are other places to buy sabers... but this place is one of if not the best place to learn to build your Lightsaber.
    Last edited by thejedilestat; 07-14-2012 at 05:23 AM. Reason: A good one

"You are a Jedi who never knew what life was until it ran out in a big gush over your lips."

<ARKM> "May you come to the attention of those in authority"

Oh well, oh well ....
    I still find this expensive, but looking at the pictures threads I can't stop admiring the work being done.

I'm going to save money and give this a try.

Just quick questions if someone is willing to help :

- This blade holder ( http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Sc...e-20-P633.aspx ) has a lot of holes/emplacements in it, is everything sold with it ? Or do i have to buy separate pieces/switches to fill the gaps ?
    - The blade recommended (the 36" one) in the noob thread is out of stock, can I use any LED blade if the sabre is LED ? Since it's out of stock, which one would you recommend that is in stock ?
    - Whats the difference between Momentary and Latching switches ? Will they all fit the style 20 blade holder ?
    - The link to the MWS in the noob thread is dead, which MWS was it pointing to ?

Sorry if these questions are not related to the topic, but since the conversation was on already I thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can you get cheaper sabers? Yes, but they will be a mass produced item like everything else. Expensive is relative to other hobbies really. I'm restoring a car, and can tell you I've spent more on that thing in six months than I have for sabers in four years.
    TCSS prices are incredibly inexpensive. Go to a local machine shop and see how much they'll charge for that "7" piece with a hole in it"

I did that once (ashamedly), and it would have been a $50 setup fee, then $40 per part only if I had ten made.

Bottom line is, you get what you pay for. I have been buying from tcss for four years and easily spent over $2k in those years. Not one time have I gotten a bad part. Tcss is quality, and if you want a quality saber, you are going to have to spend a bit more than you would for other sabers.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

I use 40in blades but I like my blades long add a little gift wrap inside the blade and all is good. For that blade holder you will need a set of 4 graflex style electrical pins short or long it's up to you have a look at TCSS Graflex section. You will also need a graflex glass eye and red button screw both 10-32 also in TCSS Graflex section and you will also need a 8-32 set screw Up to you what one.

The difference between latching and momentary can be found with a search here or google. what switch type you will need depends on how you set up the saber. the switch will not affect what blade holder you use because the switch will not go in the blade holder at all. With the blade that depends on your use if you want to bash things with you saber then you need a battle blade

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/LE...-OD--P543.aspx

I like those blades alot all my blades are 40in so they are long and heavy but they will take a beating.

"You are a Jedi who never knew what life was until it ran out in a big gush over your lips."

<ARKM> "May you come to the attention of those in authority"

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
    What is "gift wrapping" your blade ? I can't seem to understand that.

Does he refile stock often ? Some parts are out of stock.
    Last edited by CS67700; 07-14-2012 at 07:38 AM.

Youngling
    Youngling
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CS67700 View Post
    .... What is "gift wrapping" your blade ?
    the procedure where you take a celophane type material and put it inside your polycarbonate tubing.

i just prever buying the 1" thick with its insert, much simpler, you can buy it pre-assembled (recommended for the new)
    or you can get the parts, and then assemble them yourself, my first one i went pre-assemble, as I did not want to get some epoxy for such a small job.

and if price is such an issue, how good of a craftsman are you ? do you have 20k for a cnc machine ? or even 5k for a 3d printer (fragile, hilts depending)

my recommendation as a craftsman, use the mhs system, read the forum. We will help with your build, but its up to you to dream it.

also, you have to be happy with it, its your saber, your way. there are many pre-wired kits @ TCSS, your build can be as easy as assembly.

i've spent about 150$ on my first saber, and its complicated... if i put 50$ more on the initial order it would not be as complicated and i'd be happier with it.

on my second saber, i've spent 10$ maybe, and i've done a fair amount of scavenging. and so far i'm happy with it, i had access to a lathe and parts are fitting nicely.

2012-07-14 10.08.02.jpg

this post made me angry.... and i will stop before I say things ill regret.
    "The force is everywhere, it binds us togeather"

It's quite surprising to see someone complaining about prices here... and it is a rather pointless thread.

I mean, if you ever come to think about buying a lightsaber or DIY, that means you're already willing to spend money on useless stuff...
    If you're sick enough to think "why not building my own lightsaber?" (yes that is sickness in the eyes on "normal" beings ), and then come here. Did you really think it would be cheap?
    C'mon, I'm fairly new to this stuff (reading a lot atm), but I never ever imagine about questionning neither the prices, nor the quality of the products that Tim is selling! And I already know that my first saber staff will cost me close to $500...
    Plus it's not only a shop, it's also a great website, a forum where you can get help, share your passion...

Nuff said, you know the saying :
    "quand on aime on ne compte pas" (when you love, you doesn't count... works on GF too lol)
    otherwise buy something cheap and save us from useless complains that will only make the good supporters of TSCC angry...
    Clicky Sig =>