Thread: R.I.C.E. port as a "recharge" port

Default R.I.C.E. port as a "recharge" port

So I'm working on one of my last builds for awhile. I was thinking of going completely nutz and doing some wierd set up for the recharge port on the hilt.
    Then I decided that maybe a "hidden" recharge was the way to go with the electronics I have available.
    The charge ports are small enough, but in the interest of space I was considering using a left over RICE port as my hidden recharge.
    I have a 3.5mm port, and don't see how the incoming mA would be an issue...
    Unless I'm missing something
    Any thoughts?

You'd need to build your own 3.5mm adapter for your charger, and pay attention to where the wires go. I don't believe the R.I.C.E. ports can be wired in the "kill-key" configuration, so you'd need some method of isolating the saber electronics while you're recharging the batteries.

I would avoid having two R.I.C.E. ports on the same saber. If you hand it to someone else to plug in for recharging (or if you're tired and not paying attention), they'll invariably stick power into the wrong port and fry your board.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

If you go through with this please document and share everything you do.

"Well, don't blame me. I'm an interpreter. I'm not supposed to know a power socket from a computer terminal!" ~C3P0, Star Wars: Episode V, The Empire Strikes Back

Quote Originally Posted by BlessedWrath View Post
    "Well, don't blame me. I'm an interpreter. I'm not supposed to know a power socket from a computer terminal!" ~C3P0, Star Wars: Episode V, The Empire Strikes Back
    LOL good stuff!
    I will document what I do, basicly the hilt is done. But I'll post some pics and what not this weekend

Have to agree with Silver, the 3.5mm jack used for RICE has no interrupt mechanism in place. You've got your negative, positive and ground. (grounds through the port body and from there to the hilt) (which is apparently bad for RICE communications )

You'd need something to manually kill the connection from battery to board. Latching switch or key.
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.