Thread: Possibly a dumb question, but better safe than sorry.

Default Possibly a dumb question, but better safe than sorry.

Title of this speaks for itself, but, is it a bad idea to run the PC V2.0 while no LED is hooked up to it? My thought is, "it is probably bad" , but I would like to be sure.
    And I ask because I don't have the main LED yet, it's out of stock, but I've been tinkering with the board as I set up the chassis.
    H - "Your shelter is secure, is it?"
    M - "Of course it is! See for yourself just how powerless you are!"
    H - "Roger that."
    M - O_O

During the building of my saber there were several times where I ignited the board for testing without the LED attached. I noticed no ill effects, but I did notice the board seemed to get hot quickly, so I never tested it like this for more than half a minute.

Youngling
    Youngling
    Blog Entries

in my opinion its not bad, you will not see the flash, but as long as you have a speaker, you can listen to the fonts, but on the other hand, i don't have a pc v2.0

but I have played with the cheapo hasbro economy bopards without LED's.

hope this helps.

electronically there should be no problem without the LED. as long as the circuit is resistered for the LED's power consumption.
    Last edited by mrknify; 07-12-2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: error, eroor,erroorrrr... the cake is a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkarNights View Post
    During the building of my saber there were several times where I ignited the board for testing without the LED attached. I noticed no ill effects, but I did notice the board seemed to get hot quickly, so I never tested it like this for more than half a minute.
    Yeah mine has done that too. I figured it might be because there is no main LED, making the board over-powered. Thats why I was curious. So does your board not heat up as much with the main LED hooked up?
    H - "Your shelter is secure, is it?"
    M - "Of course it is! See for yourself just how powerless you are!"
    H - "Roger that."
    M - O_O

It should be fine to use but if the board is heating up then don't use it for long. You can turn the power output to the main led pads down in the text files. If I remember correctly you can also turn the main led off aswell in the text file but I will have to re read the Manuel.

Ok just read the old Manuel and new Manuel and if you set the led file to 0 it will stop the power getting to the main led pads. So this should help ease your mind and keep the board safe not that it was in danger any way

oh and this was my 500th post so... yay me
    Last edited by thejedilestat; 07-14-2012 at 12:52 AM. Reason: had to add some things

"You are a Jedi who never knew what life was until it ran out in a big gush over your lips."

<ARKM> "May you come to the attention of those in authority"

i can kinda relate.. i just finished wiring up my first igniter board but the switches and led engin havent arrived yet(its Friday night and they will be here on Monday)......and its KILLING me!!! i just wanna start this bad boy up and see if it goes

Quote Originally Posted by CGompertz09 View Post
    Yeah mine has done that too. I figured it might be because there is no main LED, making the board over-powered. Thats why I was curious. So does your board not heat up as much with the main LED hooked up?
    Well, I'll put it this way, I could hold the board in my hand ignited with the LED attached. Ignited without the LED, the board heated up enough to actually cause me to involuntarily drop it. If you want to test your fonts for 30 seconds just to see that it works you will be fine, just don't play with it for very long.