A couple of years ago, I got the clever idea of converting a Force FX Vader to a bright LED string with a removable blade. Stupid me, I did not account for the fact that the board would not provide enough current to 66 red 5mm LEDs (VF=2.0-2.2V, 30mA). Needless to say, it didn't work. I can't remember exactly, but I seem to recall that some segments lit up, while others wouldn't light up at all. So I just set aside that gorgeous string, the fairly slick 3/4" blade I made for it, and the TCSS Vader conversion kit that I modded specifically for a plug-in 3/4" string blade. Well, I just hauled it out, was thinking what a waste it is, and then it occurred to me that I might be able to do something with Power Xtenders. Has anyone tried using Power Xtenders with a Force FX board and a scrolling string blade? Am I right in thinking that I would need a separate Power Xtender for each segment? And would I need a separate resistor for each LED? I don't see how I could use a single resistor for a string of eleven 30mA red LEDs wired serially, using a standard Force FX 4.5V battery pack. Come to think of it, is it even possible to power such a beast with just 4.5V? Should I replace the Force FX battery pack with a 7.4V li-ion pack?

My brain hurts….