Thread: DarkarNights presents CopperHead

Default DarkarNights presents CopperHead

Here is my first designed MHS saber that I completed about 2 weeks ago.

CopperHead

It is 100% TCSS MHS parts, with some custom machine work on the blade holder by Tim to create a forked version of the style 12 holder. All the powder coating was done by Tim as well.

This saber started life as a vastly different design that was to have a silver and blue color theme, until one day I seen TuxedoCartman post a picture of his saber with media-blasted Jollipop Copper Orange on it, and I fell in love with how that color looked. So I went back to the drawing board and designed a saber to feature that color. I had an idea for this saber that it was constructed using a rare orange metal with similar properties to Cortosis running through the core of the saber, and the other metal parts were built around the core. The core metal is exposed at the pommel, the choke, and the blade emitter. On the emitter I used Copper Vein, because I envisioned that this is how the orange metal would age in appearance after years of combat against other lightsaber blades. I also think having a darker color at the tip adds a nice contrast. On the hilt body, I have Candy Gold in the groves, and I used black o-rings to add some grip and color contrast to the hilt. I chose box 14 mainly because it had all the buttons and ports covered in one part, but I really like how the shape of it fits the design.

I've got to say Thanks to all the great members of this forum who's knowledge I have soaked up during the month I spent reading, planning, and designing this build. Everyone here is great, and I hope I can continue to contribute to this community for many years to come building upon the knowledge I have gained.

TCSS Parts:
    Blade Holder style 12 (custom modified by Tim), Copper Vein Powder Coat on the tip.
    Choke style 3, Jollipop Copper Orange Powder Coat.
    Main Body Hilt style 4, Candy Gold Powder Coat in the grooves.
    Activation Box style 14, with recharge port and R.I.C.E. port installed, and a green ring latching AV switch, and gold momentary AV switch.
    MPS Pommel style 10, Jollipop Copper Orange Powder Coat, with MPS Insert style 6.
    Two Gold Trim Rings, and 5 Black O-Rings. (edit: now 6 o-rings, per Amwolf's suggestion below)

TCSS Electronics:
    MWS Petit Crouton 2.0, currently loaded with the Shatterpoint sound font by Madcow.
    Rebel Star Green LED Module, running at 1000mA.
    2 Watt Bass Speaker.
    18500 7.4V Li-Ion Stick Pack.

Blade is a 36 inch trans white thin wall with clear gift wrap diffuser, also have a 30 inch blade for safer indoor practice.

Here are the pictures:
    Last edited by DarkarNights; 06-30-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Nice build!

Sweet! The color scheme is growing on me as I flip through the pictures again and again. Have you thought about slipping an o-ring on at the transition between the choke and the blade holder? It's the only spot where a color change is not accompanied by a change in surface depth (i.e. step down or up)...

Quote Originally Posted by amwolf View Post
    Sweet! The color scheme is growing on me as I flip through the pictures again and again. Have you thought about slipping an o-ring on at the transition between the choke and the blade holder? It's the only spot where a color change is not accompanied by a change in surface depth (i.e. step down or up)...
    Hmm, I never thought to try that, I'll have to find the right size o-ring to fit around the blade holder threads. And you're right about it being the only spot where color change isn't accompanied by a depth change, that never occurred to me either.

Edit: Remembering that I had an extra o-ring left over I ran down to the batcave to test it out. It looks great, thanks Amwolf! I'll post a new and improved picture in a few.
    Last edited by DarkarNights; 06-30-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Cool.

At first glance I wasn't sure about the colour scheme, but i**** grown on me.
    Sith Acolyte Saber completed

I think pictures will never do propper justice to this saber, as TuxedoCartman pointed out with his saber, the media-blasted Jollipop Copper Orange seems to be nearly impossible to properly photograph. It comes out either much brighter or much darker than it actually looks, in person it has a very nice balance to the other colors.

This saber definitely had a very different color layout than most sabers I see on here. Regardless, I find it to be a very attractive looking hilt.
    Honey, you've been looking for love in Alderaan places!