Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: MWS 700mA Buckpuck with Charge Port

I don't think it's the port, because I'm pretty sure Tim said that with the switch off no power goes through the buckpuck, just straight to the battery. Sounds like a short is causing the switch of the circuit to close. Do you have the back of the buckpuck insulated so those solder joints can't touch the hilt?

The recharge port is not wired with a kill-key setup here, so the presence or absence of a plug should have no bearing on the saber. It does sound like a short somewhere on the switch side of the circuit. Can you reproduce the behavior with all of the electronics outside your hilt? I'm guessing that you're wiggling something around when you insert the recharge plug and it causes a short circuit temporarily.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I think I have it.

Guts out, no short. Assembled, short. I isolated the problem to only happening when the pommel is connected. Since I used the radio shack port, it doesnt thread all the way through the pommel insert, as in almost flush with the outside. The plug has to be hitting the insert and making a connection with the outside of the port and powering the saber.

So a short in the recharge port onto the pommel insert is causing the circuit to close? I'm baffled as to how that is even happening. Are you sure that all bare metal at the switch and buckpuck are insulated?

Everything is taped, even the inside of the hilt piece where the switch leads could possibly touch. It only ever happened when the port was in the insert. It might be a cheap/bad switch inside the port.

Well, if it's the only variable left, it must be the culprit. Try taping around the port to shield it from contact?