Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My First Saber - Navis

Default My First Saber - Navis

I have been on this website for a few months now reading and researching. I figured now that I have built my first saber, it's time to make my first post on the forum. I dubbed it "Navis". I built it for a fellow co-worker. I did the work free of charge so I could get some good experience. He designed it up on the MHS builder after I showed him the website. He wanted emitter claws badly and I did not want to go crazy fabricating them on my first build so he found one elsewhere. Let me know what yall think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

very nice. I like how the grip and the color set off the spikes...
    Last edited by PaPa_FoZzY; 06-21-2012 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling error

Nice! Not a big fan of claws myself but those look wicked cool...

I like claws...but not them ones. Good job though. Otherwise it looks great.

You've acheived an awesome first saber. I would like more pics on the shroud and grip works. I was first suprised by a blue led in a clawed and sithy hilt but It gives the whole thing an original look I like a lot....

Great claws! Pretty amazing, have you drilled through actual threaded area to insert a switch? Was it difficult to screw together (if that is what you have done) Amazing first saber.

I like the saber but change the emitter. Use a TCSS emitter. Could go for the newest spikey emitter. He'd probably like that one.
    "Your move!" -Obi-wan kenobi-

Thank you all for your gracious feedback. This is the design the customer chose as he picked out all the parts. I think he wanted blue because he has a MR Vader and Luke ROTJ. I would have assumed red but I think the blue makes it even more unique. When stood up on the claws, it looks like a freakin rocket. This was not intended but ended up being really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    Great claws! Pretty amazing, have you drilled through actual threaded area to insert a switch? Was it difficult to screw together (if that is what you have done) Amazing first saber.
    I did drill through the threads and it was indeed a pain. I used a step bit which made the holes perfect. Once drilled, I carefully unscrewed it and filed the burs to ensure it could be screwed back together. It was really the only place the button could go.

Lightsaber_06.jpgLightsaber_07.JPGLightsaber_08.JPGLightsaber_21.jpgLightsaber_22.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jedimastergarcia87 View Post
    Use a TCSS emitter.
    I don't understand people's voracious loyalty to a single company when it comes to sabersmithing. TCSS makes good stuff, so does the "other" company that made that emitter. The company has even started making all of their parts TCSS compatible (which, to me, isn't only good marketing, but shows some serious love for TCSS and the hobby in general). As far as I'm concerned as a hobbyist, that gives me so many more possibilities. TCSS still has the wider breadth of options and the "other" guys have some strange specialized parts that are pretty awesome. Can't we all just get along and make sweet, sweet sabers?

(Aside from the fact that jgemstar777 stated his customer designed the hilt)

P.S. I'm not trying to cause a firestorm here, or insult anyone (jedimastergarcia87's comment just sparked my constant thought. No offense intended) concerning who had what idea first, who has the best products, etc. My point, in case I wasn't clear (though I have an English degree, I often lack clarity in board posts, go figure) is that it's all about making awesome sabers.

P.P.S. The majority of my attempts at making sabers have resulted in me buying the electronics from here, the blade "elsewhere," and everything else from the hardware store (I've only ever made PVC sabers). But when the day inevitably comes (hopefully before I'm too old and the companies I like are out of business) where I build a metal hilt, I'll be ordering parts from all sorts of places. Here, "there," and wherever else I can find sweet pieces.
    "Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also."
    -Marcus Aurelius, one of the Five Good Emperors of Rome

On topic - nice looking saber, good mix of parts.

Off topic - Skinnerman02, what I think you fail to realize as you are fairly new around here is that the "other company" as you put it isn't exactly the most "honorable" of companies to deal with. Sure, from a customer standpoint they may do good business, but if you've been around the community for a while, they are a lot of less than proper and border line shaddy dealings. IE, taking other peoples designs, idea's and selling them as there own.

I have one of there sabers before I knew better and found the machine quality pails in comparison to what Tim (TCSS) offers, and chances are I will personally never buy one of their sabers again.

If a person wants to use their parts in there sabers and designs, no one will stop you - but chances are, it may not be warmly received.

I say none of this to inflame anyone, mearly as a statement of fact.
    Yub Yub Commander.