Thread: Newest Saber, CF 5.6 Ledengin RGGB, Bargraph

Default Newest Saber, CF 5.6 Ledengin RGGB, Bargraph

Howdy guys. I managed to snag one of the last CF's when Erv was clearing out for the 6's. It's been a while since I built any new sabers, but for this one I wanted to push myself on the build. It's the only way to get better right? I succeeded and failed, learned a lot and really did push myself. All MHS parts.

CF 5.6

LEDengin RGGB GG is in parallel and the R is FOC for yellow

Since I've read the tutorial's on wiring the difficult LEDengin so many times I knew what I was in for. It isn't that bad if you're prepared. Just do exactly what VV says and you're good.

10 segment LED bargraph.

The only 7 segment one I found was Red. I didn't think it would fit with the green blade, so I used the power on indicator as an extra spot as well as the pad that could be used for a vibrating motor. So 9 out of 10 ain't bad. Interesting bit; I didn't use a resistor on the motor pad which is 3.6 fV and 18ma and the bargraph is rated at something like
    2.6 fV but 20 something ma. I figured that it's usually current that burns things out so it'd be ok, maybe brighter. Once it was wired up, the LED was actually yellow from the extra voltage. I decided to leave it like this in the #1 spot. If it burns out, oh well.

I did use SMD 0402 resistors for this. As soon as I saw that in the manual I knew I had to try it and push myself. I'm glad to say it wasn't that bad and it worked first try!

I wanted to try a crystal chamber in the choke, but decided to go with 18650 batteries. They took up too much room and I already had the parts sitting on my counter. Hard to wait for a silly crystal when everything else is staring you in the face.

Reverse sound. There's no sound holes at all and this thing is still friggin loud. Recharge in the pommel.

I also was aiming for a brand new shiny look, but the cutting wheel jumped and took away that notion. So I just rolled with it, started with some very coarse sanding wheels that came with my dremel, worked up to whatever grit was the finest, wasn't even 200 I think. It gave the aluminium a nice speckled look. I went over that with super fine steel wool. So it retained that look, but felt super smooth.

Black spray paint, baked on. 3 coats.

Stole graflex pins from a MR luke

Still might get a glass eye for the bottom of the blade holder area, the underside of the saber is kinda plain right now.

1start.jpg2burnt wire.jpg3bargraph.jpg4Cram.jpg5finish.jpg

I also made a video, it's made mostly for my friends that don't know about saber building so forgive me if it seems odd.

Last edited by Jordandau; 06-20-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Nice saber! It's awesome how bright the LEDEngin GG dies are. What blade is on that?

Comin out nice, I'll be watching to see this finished. Does the bar graph actually show power lever or just blink randomly? I have a couple of those bar graphs and some LM3914 drivers I want use but I'm lost on the wiring so I'll probably have to run it directly from the board.
    A Star Wars nerd? I've never heard of such a thing!

This very second it's just programmed to drop like that, and go crazy on lockup. With the CF you can (and I will be) use it as a PLI. It's a setting in the config. Right before that video I went to fine tune and change some fonts and my card reader crapped out on me. It's 99% done, I just need to fill out that box and set the graph in place permanently.

It's just the thick walled trans white blade from the store here. With some clear gift wrap inside. It's not as "viridian" in real life. Much more green than mint ice cream colored.