Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Charger problem

Default Charger problem

So I had a charger, wired up 3-5 sabers and they all work perfectly. I sold a saber and that charger to a friend. Got myself a CF so with my parts purchase for a hilt I included another charger. At first it worked perfectly, different boards, sabers etc. So about 3 days after I "finished" putting the CF saber together I went to charge it and the power on indicator stayed lit with the charger plugged in. I thought that was weird (wasn't like that before) so I went to unplug it, the board boot sound played with it still plugged in.
    I thought for sure I wired something, or had a short on the CF saber. So I grabbed my MR board saber I've had no issues on for like a year... Same thing. I can plug the charger in, says it's charging but the switch lit up. The charger says it's doing it's job, and I can even turn on both sabers WITH IT PLUGGED IN, still says charging and the blades light up. I have a video showing whats going on.

I didn't change anything on the charger. I didn't drop it, it's been sitting on my counter. I'm baffled.

Here's the video

There may be an issue with the plug adapter. If it's slightly smaller (or dinged a bit) it may not be cutting power when inserted into your saber. Since the kill key works, it's unlikely to be your wiring in the saber itself.

Are you using http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/21...arger-P36.aspx or did you pick one up somewhere else? I have heard that Radio Shack sells one that looks right, but doesn't fit properly and won't cut the power.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

It's the one from the shop. If I jiggle it around I can get it to sit in just the right spot that it cuts power and charges, but it's difficult and I don't want to hold it the whole time it charges obviously. I guess I can purchase a new tip and make my own quick connect.

I'm having the same exact thing with my charger from the shop. This was my first build, so I was unsure if the behavior was normal. Same thing, if I turn the plug just right I can get it to stop sending power to the board. So I take it this is not normal? Maybe a bad batch of plugs from the shop? Will leaving it in the position that powers the board while charging cause any harm?

I don't know, so I wouldn't do it. I'm holding off charging until I get a new tip.

I wouldn't charge the batteries in-hilt with that problem going on. The charger pumps extra power to the batteries, above what you'd normally get from the batteries themselves. Bad things could happen to the board if it's being fed too much power.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

it could be the recharge port, i had one that did something similar because the prong inside the port was loose or something so i replaced it and everything worked again.
    A Star Wars nerd? I've never heard of such a thing!

On 2 different sabers at the same time?

Well luckily I can make mine stay in the position where there's no power going to the board, I'm going to order a new plug the next time I order parts. I hope Tim sees this so he can inspect the plugs in the shop.

definitely seems like the plug tip is too small. you could further verify that by checking to see if the plug tip by itself can cut power when inserted into the port.

aside from that, make sure there is no short to the hilt itself as the charger / battery negative gets grounded to the port body when an appropriately sized plug is inserted into the port.
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.