Thread: Double Shouding, What size tubes do I need?

Default Double Shouding, What size tubes do I need?

Hey guys, I'm brand new to the forum. I've got a Hilt design that I drew up in Illustrator a few days ago, and was wondering how to go about doing a 2 layer shroud on my saber. What size tubes do I need to get, do I need to ask for the MHS parts to be sized down a bit? etc.

Here's the pic
    LightSaberDesign.jpg
    (how do I post a larger photo? you can click to expand, but I've seen people's pics show up bigger than this.)

Also what do you guys think of the design as-well. It's my first real custom job.

I would keep the inner shroud thin, maybe 1-1/2" sink tube (full disclosure: I've never worked with sink tube, so others will have better advice on that, I'm just going on sabers I've seen in the Gallery). Then you'd have to find an outsourced supplier for the outer shroud, since the MHS sleeve fits nicely over the MHS parts but leaves no room for anything else. I'd look for something that meets the thickness spec for the MHS sleeve to give some meat to that second layer. If the MHS is going to stay bare aluminum I don't think you'd have to have Tim "skim them down a hair" as you would if it was going to be powder coated. It's going to take some serious dremel-fu to do those wavy internal cuts (yes I realize it's a sketch but the look would be cool). What were you thinking for internals, sound, etc?

I've done a 2-layer shroud using 1.5" sink tube and 1.5" PVC. Check around the hardware stores in your area, you should be able to find sink tube that *just* fits inside PVC pipe.

You'll likely want to paint the PVC to make it look good.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I'm thinking about getting the new Crystal Focus v6, I really like the Live Color changing with the R.I.C.E. port.

I don't think I'll use PVC, I donno. I just think this should be an all metal hilt.

Also, to make the shrouding easier, I think I'll use my 3D modelling skills to model a 3D copy of my sketch, then unwrap the mesh (the 3D object) and print out a template on paper. (then I can roll the template around the pipes, and draw lines etc.)

Sleeve material dimensions
    1.574" OD
    1.458" ID
    .058" wall thickness

Pretty much if you just online search for an aluminum tube/pipe with an inner diameter slightly over 1.575, and around .05 wall thickness it should slip over the sleeve material. There is an ONLINE store that sells METALS.
    Last edited by Darth Odious; 06-17-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Forgive a simple n00b's answer here

I noticed when I dremeled my sinktube that it tends to "spring" apart when you cut down the middle. It also has quite a bit of give when flexing (sorry, may not be explaining myself very well). If your outer shroud layer doesn't go all they way around, would it be possible to simply flex the tube a little and fit it around another sink tube?

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I'll tell you that since your design is heavily based on two that I've already done:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...=ferus+gladius

...that the tubing that I used was standard sinktube for the brass (sanded down and polished) and the aluminum was a 1.509 ID x 1.625 OD tubing. You can paint or powdercoat either tubing to match your color scheme. If you want aluminum for both, send an email to Tim asking if he'd lathe down his shroud tubing to 1.5" OD. I'll be thinner and easier to cut that way as well.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    I'll tell you that since your design is heavily based on two that I've already done:

...that the tubing that I used was standard sinktube for the brass (sanded down and polished) and the aluminum was a 1.509 ID x 1.625 OD tubing. You can paint or powdercoat either tubing to match your color scheme. If you want aluminum for both, send an email to Tim asking if he'd lathe down his shroud tubing to 1.5" OD. I'll be thinner and easier to cut that way as well.

Thanks, Yes my design was inspired heavily by your two you posted. I still want to make some changes here and there, make it more my own instead of an exact copy.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

The lighter colored pieces, were they meant to be brass? If so, all you need then is the 1.509ID tubing as you can get the sink tube here or at a hardware store (make sure you get 22ga if you get it anywhere else than here). Though, I would still lathe down that tubing as it will be thick in the hand. I like the design, especially the back end. The rear control box, are you using that for your recharge port/RICE port and aux switch? I ask, because I see the main switch in the forward section.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    The lighter colored pieces, were they meant to be brass? If so, all you need then is the 1.509ID tubing as you can get the sink tube here or at a hardware store (make sure you get 22ga if you get it anywhere else than here). Though, I would still lathe down that tubing as it will be thick in the hand. I like the design, especially the back end. The rear control box, are you using that for your recharge port/RICE port and aux switch? I ask, because I see the main switch in the forward section.
    Yes the lighter one will be brass, I'm still deciding on what color the outer one should be, If I should paint it or polish it. You're right about the box, but I'm toying with the idea of having 2 activation switches. One up top, and another down in the box. So I can activate it in different stances.