Thread: Final Saber Render.....Build yet to come

Default Final Saber Render.....Build yet to come

Ok, so here is my final rendering of the saber that I want to build. It will be a little while before it becomes a reality, but I wanted to put it out there to get some reactions/input. It is a fairly basic set up, the blade holder is a modified MHS blank and the wood handles will be cylindrical wood sleeves sliding over the MHS extensions underneath. This should put the thickness of the saber around 2 inches. Let me know what you think.Wood Handled Saber Render Final.jpg
    "To win but never fight is supreme victory"~Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

I do love me some wooden grips. Have you considered how you're going to attach them to the hilt? Also, if you're concerned about how think that will be (unless you have large hands, that might be a tad unwieldy) you may consider using a smaller sinktube for the main body. Just my two cents.

I like the custom blade holder design.

i like the render and the wood looks cool but 2" might be a little thick. 1 3/4" is about as big as I go except maybe around the blade holder and pommel. You might want to try swinging around a 2" pvc pipe or wooden dowel and if its ok then go for it.

I agree with dustunite on the 2" diameter of the wood. I would opt for 1.65".

I would machine the outer diameter to 1.65" and the inner diameter to 1.46". Because the o.d. on the MHS is 1.45" you'll want this extra .010" to slide it on....plus wood expands and contracts with moisture, temperature etc. This would leave you with a wall thickness in your wood sleeve of about .095" thick. I would think that should be plenty to provide you with a good sturdy piece to mount to your MHS parts underneath. Plus it wouldn't be to big as to feel bulky in your hands.

Just my .02 cents.
    There's a difference between knowing the path.....and walking the path.

Correction to diameter size. I must have gotten confused with another design I was considering, there were so many. The outer diameter of the wood handles is only going to make up the diameter difference between a MHS 4" extension and a MHS Extension Blank. Which, if memory serves, is about 1.6" OD. I am also not sure exactly what kind of finish I want to put on the handles, as well as should I incorporate any designs/art into the wood. I was tossing around the idea of either burning or painting the Jedi symbol on the handle, after staining, then finish it with a tongue oil instead of a varnish. What say you?

Also, there will be phases to this build. The saber design and initial build will be phase one. Light, no sound. Phase two will be to build the sister saber, an exact replica of the first. Phase three will be to design/build the coupler for the final saber staff design and adding sound. I am really looking forward to the challenge of this build. And with my lack of time, it will probably take a long time, but I will love it when it is completed.
    Last edited by shadz; 06-16-2012 at 03:04 PM.
    "To win but never fight is supreme victory"~Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

1.6" is much more reasonable and the burning into the handles sounds like a cool idea, can't wait to see.

Nice. I like the custom cut blade holder.
    "Your move!" -Obi-wan kenobi-