Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My first build... help please

Default My first build... help please

Greetings from Saleucami,

This will be my first lightsaber and I'm essentially looking for some confirmation that I haven't missed anything and that the bits I've picked will actually all fit together, so...

Hilt style 2 with guarded style switch hole

Screw on LED blade holder style 10

MHS "new style" Heat Sink

MHS choke style 1 short

Pommel style 3

Activation box style 9

1-3/16" ID Black O-ring x8

Colored polyc tube (Trans Green)

16mm Anti Vandal Short Momentary Red Ring Switch

10-32 x 3/8" Red Acetal thumb screw

4-40 Button Head

I'm not doing the electronics for the time being but want the prop to look finished, hence the switch.

So, does that all look ok? Have I missed anything?

Thanks,

Hordriss

Other than the empty recharge port hole in your activation box, you appear to have everything you need for now. I assume you'll be doing your own drilling and tapping of holes for your switch and screws? If not, the store does offer that as a service.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Recharge thingy, right.

Now you mention it it would be nice if they were already drilled, saving me going and buying a new bit. Do I just pop a note in when I checkout?

Oh, one more quick question, what stops the blade flying out when you swing the saber about?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hordriss View Post
    Oh, one more quick question, what stops the blade flying out when you swing the saber about?
    Retention screws, which can literally be any screw imaginable that's long enough. The length is pretty much determined by how much of the screw you want showing. I like to be able to unscrew my blades without the need of a tool, so I use flat tipped socket head screws. But I buy mine at Home Depot. They look a lot like the socket head screws in the TCSS store, but longer with grooves on the head for ease of grip. Some people use the set screws because they're easier to hide. Others just straight out use thumb screws. It's really up to you what kind of screw you need; but you do need one. Otherwise, as you stated, nothing is going to stop the blade from flying out when you swing the saber about.
    "Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also."
    -Marcus Aurelius, one of the Five Good Emperors of Rome

Thanks.

So a hole would have to go through the blade holder section into the blade... is that "Drill and Tap Hole" in the Services section?

It is the "Drill and Tap Hole" service. You don't actually need to drill the hole into the blade itself. The screw will apply pressure to the blade and hold it in. I assume you're using the red acetal thumbscrew as a blade retention screw.

There are separate services for the various activation box holes. Be sure to pick the correct one for your box.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Right then... I think I'm ready, fingers crossed.

Thanks to each of you for your assistance.

Love the saber on your sig btw.

One thing the OP forgot was the pommel insert, and C-clip to hold it in place.
    Boring conversation anyway...