Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: This will be my first saber build... Hope it is right

Default This will be my first saber build... Hope it is right

1. Blade holder style #16
    - I plan to tap myself and I have plenty of screws to use. Would one screw be sufficient to hold the blade or should I do one on each side?

2. Hilt #3 drilled for an av switch.

3. Pommel style #8 with insert style #1 and clip.

4. Is there a difference between the Seoul P4 and the Rebel Star Leds. I plan to go with a green led with heat sink module of either one just not sure what the difference might be.

5. I plan to get the Pre-Wired Petit Crouton Sound Module V2.0
    - Green av style short momentary switch.
    - 2W base speaker.
    - speaker mount V4
    - Not sure if I would rather go with a rechargeable battery pack or just get a holder and use batteries. I think the batteries would be easier. Let me know what I would need to use a rechargeable battery pack and charge port. Not sure how all that would work.

6. "Corbin style" Show blade 1" OD 36" long with standard tip. What is the difference between the double and quad wrap.

I think that is everything. If I missed something please let me know.

Thank you,
    Adam

Here is a good resource thread (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ghlight=Lumens) for seeing the difference in brightness (measured in lumens) between different LEDs for various colors. There is no easy answer choosing between the P4 and Rebel Star, it depends on color and how much current you plan to drive to the LED. Also remember, what you see with your own eyes might not always agree with the mathematics or with other people's opinions. Both the P4 and Rebels are bright, so I think you will end up happy with either choice.

As far as recharge port and li-ion pack vs removable batteries, it depends on how you define easier. Is it easier to have to dismantle the hilt and replace the batteries every time they drain, or is it easier to wire up a recharge port and never have to open the hilt again?
    Last edited by DarkarNights; 06-09-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

1. Signle would be fine but you can go for more if you want the look.

2. Just make sure you use the APOP on the PC if you use a momentary switch.

3. Cool.

4. It depends on who you talk to, predominately the P4 White is good for filters.

5. Cool
    -APOP setting on the PC for this.
    -Cool for both the speaker & mount. With the V4 you might want to get some threaded rod and a chasis disk to hold the batteries & PC securely. I'd say got rechageables as you don't have to mess around with the saber once it all works or until something breaks. If you go that route, as you said, get the 14500 set and a Recharge Port along with the RPort drill service or the Style 6 Pommel insert.

6. Quad had twice the diffuser material. This is a taste issue as the more you put in the less intense the light will be. Generally a clear blade has 6' of poly wrap in it . If you go with a white Blade LED, a color filter, and the wrap you your blade won't be as bright as if you'd used a colored LED and wrap.

Do you have 26 ga wire, solder, & a soldering iron? If not then the Recharge Port wouldn't be a good idea and you should go the route of replaceable batteries.

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

Thanks for the help. I was doing more looking into the sound board and was wondering do I need two switches on that starts the blade and one that controls other sounds? I can use a latching switch to start the blade and then the momentary will do the blaster block and blade lock sounds correct? I added activation box style 3 with the drilling for that and changed to the pommel insert 6 with the pre drilled charger port. The two switches would be the illuminated ones and wiring them for lights should be fun. Am I correct that the pre wired sound board would need extra wires soldered for that? What is the APOP on the sound board and how do I use it?

I think that is it for now.

Thank you very much,
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by JAnderson392 View Post
    Thanks for the help. I was doing more looking into the sound board and was wondering do I need two switches on that starts the blade and one that controls other sounds? I can use a latching switch to start the blade and then the momentary will do the blaster block and blade lock sounds correct? I added activation box style 3 with the drilling for that and changed to the pommel insert 6 with the pre drilled charger port. The two switches would be the illuminated ones and wiring them for lights should be fun. Am I correct that the pre wired sound board would need extra wires soldered for that? What is the APOP on the sound board and how do I use it?

I think that is it for now.

Thank you very much,
    Adam
    Yes, two switches are required for the PC. The ignition switch can be latching or momentary (settings on the SD card must be changed to tell the board which one you have), the Aux switch used for sound effects must be momentary. The LED in the illuminated switches can be wired using the PC's pads for Accent LEDs (it has two), read the manual for the instructions. APOP is "Accidental Power Off Protection," a setting in the PC config that can be used to prevent accidentally powering off the saber while dueling, if you use a momentary as your ignition switch. Essentially you set how many seconds you must hold the button to power off. Not really an issue with latching switches.

I forgot to mention this since you asked about the pre-wired board. The pre-wired board will come with a connector for one accent led. You will need to solder additional wires for the second accent led.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkarNights View Post
    I forgot to mention this since you asked about the pre-wired board. The pre-wired board will come with a connector for one accent led. You will need to solder additional wires for the second accent led.
    Can I connect to the existing connector and splice the two switches or will I need to solder a second connector to the board itself.

- Not sure if I would rather go with a rechargeable battery pack or just get a holder and use batteries. I think the batteries would be easier. Let me know what I would need to use a rechargeable battery pack and charge port. Not sure how all that would work.

I think that is everything. If I missed something please let me know.

Thank you,
    Adam
    Charge port isn't that hard.

Since you're going to be going for pre-wired, you'll want to get a JST connector along with the 2.1mm recharge port:

JST Connector
    2.1mm Power Jack
    Also, a battery pack from the store, which will have a JST connector coming off of it.

The JST connector from the store is two parts, one male and one female, male being the one with the slightly smaller plastic housing that plugs into the female. Both positive wires will be soldered to the positive tab on the 2.1mm jack.

RechargePort.jpg

The negative on the female JST connector (the one that you will be plugging your battery pack into) will be soldered onto the middle tab on the 2.1mm jack. (also indicated in the diagram above)

The negative from the male JST will be soldered onto the remaining tab. (labelled as board in the diagram)

That's all that's needed for a wired recharge port compatible with the store's battery packs and prewired Petit Crouton.

You'll also want a charger and 2.1mm adapter:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/37...ger--P129.aspx
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/21...arger-P36.aspx

One thing though is you might want to think about trimming quite a bit from the JST wires but that'll depend on where your port is in relation to your battery pack and sound board. Lay everything out against your hilt and see how much wire length is actually needed to do the job. I left mine a little longer than it really needed to be and had coiled wire packed under the switches. Not very elegant :(
    Last edited by Kevin Starwaster; 06-09-2012 at 08:49 PM.
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.

Can I connect to the existing connector and splice the two switches or will I need to solder a second connector to the board itself.
    Splicing into the first accent LED connection might work in theory (I don't know). I wouldn't recommend it simply because the PC is designed with led control features that you can adjust the programming for. So by having both accent LEDs on their respective separate pads the PC can tell each LED how to behave (blink rates, patterns, etc.). Also you may need to use a resistor for each LED also based upon their values. Each pad will send 3.3v/18mA to it's LED. That's another reason not to double up, if two LEDs are sharing one 3.3v pad they will probably end up each being dimmer from being under powered?
    Last edited by DarkarNights; 06-17-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Thank you for all the help I have already purchased the parts to make the hilt and everything went together nicely. I have all the electronic stuff saved in my wishlist and just wanted to do a double check and make sure everything is there.

Rebel Star LED & MHS Heatsink Module (Green)
    MWS Pre-Wired Petit Crouton Sound Module V2.0
    LED "Corbin style" Show blade 1" OD (36 inches) (Standard Tip) (Double Wrap)
    3.7V-14.8V Li-Ion Smart charger
    2.1mm plug adapter for smart charger
    2.1mm Power Jack
    MHS speaker mount V4
    2w bass speaker
    Kill plug style 1
    Acrylic Chassis Disc for PC 2.0 and 14500 stick pack (Black)
    7.4v Li-ion 800mAh 14500 Battery Pack
    Stainless 4-40 all thread
    Aluminum 3/16" OD tube
    Will the prewired sound board come with both sides of the jst connectors or just the side wired to the board? I know I will need at least 1 for the secondary led switch led. I also have seen two different opinions on whether or not resistors are needed for the accent lights. If the pads give 3.3V and the supply for the switch lights is 3.3V than a resistor is not needed right?

I think that is all my questions at this point.

Once I finish with the hilt I will post some pictures.

Thank you all for your help.