Thread: Shapeways 3D printing

Default Shapeways 3D printing

Does anyone here use Shapeways 3D printing service to make saber parts like kill keys, blade plugs, stands, etc.? If so, what 3D modeling software do you use for modeling your parts?

Furthest reaches of the Galaxy (Scotland)

Simple answer it has been done, but out of respect for Tim and his store it is my understanding that we don't talk about stuff like that here seeing he sells kill keys and stands etc, however as to what software is used it all depends on what you are comfortable using

I understand having respect for Tim and the shop, but honestly this wasn't a question about where to buy stuff, but a question about using computer software, and about the ability to create custom made objects that Tim doesn't sell, nor would ever be able to sell, because they come straight from the imagination of the person creating the object. Obviousily if the object was stocked in the store, there would be no point in making it from scratch at a much higher cost and many hours of design work. Therefore I see no disrespect in this conversation. This is about creating one of a kind pieces of art, not about acquiring simple parts that exist in the thousands.

Furthest reaches of the Galaxy (Scotland)

In that case my apologies, I clearly mis-interpreted what you were asking,

I guess it all depends on what software you are comfortable with, and have experience using, to get the kind of results you want, as there is a great variety of 3d software available

I've designed a bunch of parts for Shapeways production using Viacad. I like it's pretty easy to import/use adobe illustrator files. I've made several green lantern rings in their stainless steel and white strong and flexible material, and they came out very well. I haven't made any saber parts yet though.