Thread: My first three PVC sabers.

Default My first three PVC sabers.

I've posted them to my profile gallery, take a look and let me know what you think. I tried installing sound in one, but the card seems to have stopped working after months of usage. Still trying to figure out what went wrong.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...hp?albumid=285
    "Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also."
    -Marcus Aurelius, one of the Five Good Emperors of Rome

Good look. They look like metal sabers. Ilike the white one. Have you planned any kind of weathering ? It may be cool.

I can weather, having started my run on hobbies as a miniatures painter, but I prefer the new, well cared for look. My personal philosophy is that a Jedi would care for his weapon and do what he could to keep it clean. However, the paint is done in layers, with a black primer underneath the silver, and with use the paint gets some natural wear. The hilt I have the green filter in has some major wear, which is hard to see in the pictures, around the pommel and the emitter. The next saber I have planned will be white with brass and black accents, trying to see if I can make the white look like a ceramic.
    Last edited by Skinnerman02; 06-06-2012 at 10:30 AM.
    "Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also."

That's what I was thinking about, light natural wear.... Sorry, I couldn't appreciate it on the photo.

I'm not so sure a jedi would polished its saber in the middle of a campaign. Luke threw its own (nooooo) after defeating his father.

I can't wait to see your white ceramic looking saber...

I also like the white one....very cool.

I may have a 'dabble' with some PVC on my next build.

I can't imagine Jedi polishing their weapon during combat in a campaign, but I can see them doing it during down time. Granted, a sufficiently old weapon will have collected some grime one couldn't get rid of. But ancient knights, both eastern and western, went to great pains to take care of their weapons during war and peace. As Obi-wan so correctly states in Episode II, "This weapon is your life." Dirty, uncared for weapons are more likely to break or malfunction.

I can't wait to see the blasted thing either...I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to do what I need with the limited resources I have. I've dry fitted the major pieces, but still need to find the right color of paint and figure out how to mount some of the pieces so they don't have the potential to destroy your hand while in use.

Quote Originally Posted by darren1970 View Post
    I also like the white one....very cool.
    Thanks! I'm not sure if it'll stay that way. The last picture's caption does state the saber is a simple skeleton for someone else to finish. Now, if only I can get him to stop building his resin miniature figures long enough to finish the dratted thing so I can post pictures of it completed...

And I like PVC. SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. And seeing as how I can't find a corporate paying job to save my life and have a family to support, cheap is good.
    Last edited by Skinnerman02; 06-09-2012 at 06:42 AM.

Real nice work!! If they were weathered they would have a nice real look to them! The build is just awsome!! I need to get back into the PVC game!! lol

PVC is definitely a great medium to work in and it's great for learning how to handle a Dremel. If you mess up a piece of PVC you can always cut another piece. and not worry about it.

Definitely. I've also been working in around that medium for years for miniature projects so I have a TON of resources. For instance, polystyrene sheets and tubing add excellent details. And all one needs to do is hot glue the bits on. Little else is needed.

Update on fourth build: I've glued most of the pieces in place, but still trying to make a few decisions on certain details. It's looking nice so far. Going to be a little more awkward to spar with than usual for me, I made the hilt quite a bit longer than what I generally use and have a ring in the center to keep the hands from sliding. The ring creates a wider hold, which is a little awkward foe me. It'll work great using a more eastern style of fighting, but I've been studying western martial arts (specifically for the hand-and-a-half longsword) for many years now. Guess I'm going to have to start reading The Book of Five Rings and studying Iaijutsu/Kenjutsu again...