Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The car thread

Default The car thread

so we are in chat now and decided we need a car thread so... here it is!
    just a place for fellow gear heads to discuss all things motor.

here is a bit of my background:
    dad was always a gear head, muscle cars in his youth and still intrest while i was a young buck that led to my current obsession.
    i was bitten by the import craze of the 90's, as thats when i got my license and it was the "cool" thing to do. grandpa had a '65 el camino he bought new and saved for me when i turned 16. mom called it a "death trap" and didnt want me driving it. i told her i cant afford a car, so she bought a newer car for me. gave the el camino to my dad for better care and keeping it a proper hierloom.
    mom got me a 1989 civic hatchback. it was great until i realized it didnt have the hot motor of the Si model. i later blew the engine ( ) and replaced it with a nice japanese only 1.6 twin cam "ZC". it ate the newer b16 vtec civics for lunch.

fast forward to 2001, i had joined the navy and bought myself a "drift car" after watching a bunch of japanese vids of the sport. 1991 240sx was my weapon of choice.

did a few mods, nothing major. springs, shocks, intake, exhaust. then i decided i really wanted a 1986 toyota corolla GT-S (AE86). legendary drift car. its what all the pros started with. by the time i was done with it, it handled like a go-kart (and had similar horsepower numbers lol). started drifting at events called "Drift Day" at irwindale race park in southern california (now world known as "the house of drift").
    AE86 when i got it

and after i spent some time and money...

fast forward to 2005-2008, i moved to japan and got myself a 1995 silvia (same as a 240sx but a much faster turbo engine). this thing was fully built with 400hp, full suspension, roll cage, 18" wheels... the works. i was bummed i had to sell both of the other cars when i left san diego, but it was worth it. i picked up the silvia for a steal at $6k.

and here is a vid of me getting sideways at ebisu circuit in japan. she was a beast!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnYz1-o7dwE

2008 i left japan with all of the parts form the silvia (if it unbolted i brought it!), and rebuilt it with a base model 1995 240sx. everything is a direct bolt on. and i mean ALL of the parts. the only difference by looking at the two cars was the japanese one had the steering wheel on the right.

then i sold the 240sx because i was getting tired of the stiff suspension beating me up and scraping on everything. and because it was time to embrace my family heritage.
    i got myself a 98 camaro z-28.

it was as close as i could get to a 2010 hahaha
    she has 400 LEGAL horsepower, drives like a champ, and drifts like a big fat lazy pig hahaha its got some suspension under it but just not stiff enough for drifting. it was built for autocross and fun daily driving. and it doest the later like nobody's business haha
    things i will take care of next are replacing the seats with better, "not worn out and ripped" upgrades. wheels need to go wider, as the 17x9.5 chrome is not wide enough to fill the fenders or fit enough rubber to hold that 400hp. plans are 17x11 all the way around. MAX GRIP! oh and of course i need to order some stiffer springs. the koni shocks should be able to take it just fine. will keep updates as i make progress!

discuss! what is your automotive addiction? american muscle? german tuners? japanese domestic market? its all good here!
    Last edited by Jedi Mynock; 07-13-2011 at 06:41 AM.
    NOMING YOUR POWER CABLES SINCE 2007

MHS #1 "Coppertop" CFX Neopixel
    MR 616 "Joe Jedi"
    LDM converted Korbanth LS6 (Hero with PC 1.6 and FOC)
    Vintage graflex ANH - probably staying static
    Disney Savi Saber Peace and Justice (experience was worth it)

my R34 Nissan Skyline 25GT

NEO RB25DE- NON-TURBO twin-cam 147 kW/200 PS @ 6000 rpm, 255 N·m (26.0 kgf·m) @ 4000 rpm)

1.JPG2.JPG4.JPGPicture 666.JPG

she is not super fast she has no mods but i am happy with it... for now i just gotta find the parts that look the best to my eyes. oh and the car next to mine is my wifes Nissan Patrol a nice car in its own but not as nice as mine to look at =P
    Last edited by thejedilestat; 07-13-2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: ehhh

"You are a Jedi who never knew what life was until it ran out in a big gush over your lips."

<ARKM> "May you come to the attention of those in authority"

i've never been too into cars. i did some sport compact car stuff in the past, but all aesthetic. i had a 1998 civic coupe with full coilovers, 17's, some other crap, but again, all looks.
    this was my real pride and joy, until we had our baby (1 year old today actually )
    i got rid of it when she was born.

2004 Suzuki GSX-R 600
    and a couple shots of me in the west LA hills doing what i love to do best

n577180200_2234186_3747.jpg
    n577180200_2234184_3204.jpg
    38881_10150258499450201_577180200_14262987_4862581_n.jpg
    The Dark Side is all I have...

Cool

ok, I cant leave a car thread alone... lmao... heres a pic of my 1992 Camaro RS- "Azrael" -re-badged as the ZR-S (a hybrid of the Z28 and the RS, as well as a modified version of the badge from GM's "Ultimate Corvette" the ZR-1)
    My Camaro drive side.jpg
    Specs: Tune Port Injected 383, 700R4 4-speed automatic transmission, 97 Z28 rear end, Stock suspension, stock 16" Wheels. more mods are in store as soon as the motor is squared away.

And a pic of the 1989 IROC-Z Camaro I'm picking up in about a week... cant wait...
    user96985_pic21514_1298682659.jpg
    Specs: Tune Port Injected 305, Borg Warner T-5 5-speed manual transmission, stock posi rear end, stock IROC suspension, 17" Borbet wheels. Mods are in store after I finish the build on Azrael.
    Last edited by Raith; 07-14-2011 at 12:04 AM.
    I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, than have you love me for something that I'm not

maverick.jpg i drive a 1970 ford maverick 2 door with a 250 straight six thats turbo charged...its putting out about 300 horsepower to the rear wheels its pretty funny beating stock v8 cars and when they ask me what it has in it ipop the hood and show em my tower of power lol
    Last edited by Themordify; 04-26-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Don't have any pictures on this laptop (PC out for repairs). But this is pretty close to what i drive with the addition to white stripes on the bottom sides:

2002 Mustang, supercharged, Saleen Body Kit + Wheels. Around 407rwhp when it was dyno in 2010. All kind of mods to the engine, air intake, transmission, exhaust... i'll spare you the details.
    Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"

Here's my 2005 Screamin Eagle Fatboy I modified. Won 2 "Best In Class" and 1 "Best in Show" with her. It was also featured in American Iron Magazine just this last August.

There's a difference between knowing the path.....and walking the path.

The second car that I ever owned, a 1988 T-Bird, became the subject of some very odd autobody experiments while I learned the trade. Paid $50 for the car when I was in high school. I wish that I had taken some before pictures.

Note the custom wheel well flares and hood intake. I handmade from fiberglass. The car probably weighed another 300 lbs with all that junk glued onto it. Don't laugh at the wheels, they were free and I was a teenager.

My old loyal 88 K-5 Blazer. Restored it a couple years ago. Again, I wish that I had taken before pictures.

The first color choice that my wife had me paint her motorcycle was hideous, look for yourself.

That is her car in the background with the simple bolt on body pieces in primer. Luckily she let me repaint the bike to match her color choices for the car.

Here is it next to my slightly customized 06 Street Bob, that I don't have any more pictures of on the laptop. I'll try to remember some more when I think of it.

And, I finally finished the work on the glue on pieces and threw some paint onto the wifes car this weekend.

I would add some of my 67 GTO, but she is in primer and under rebuild atm. Hopefully I get back to work on her soon, but the honey do list is getting longer by the min.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Ohhhh...ohhhh...ohhhh...I'll play. I won't post my truck, but my baby deserves some love:

2009 ZO6, Corsa Exhaust, Dyno-tuned (500 @ the rear wheels), carbon fiber splitter (not pictured), 3125 # and 0-60 in 3.2 (@ NAS Fontana). Enjoy.

...and, oh yes...there is a BMT:

All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

I grew up across the street from the Fiero plant in pontiac MI. I bought my first Fiero in '87, a silver '87 Sport Coupe. Sold it in'91. Late 2005 I bought a red '86 GT, my favorite Fiero body style. It is currently undergoing an engine swap and will be repainted this summer. More things to do to her like new side window glass, new seats, tires, brake upgrade, etc.

Wife and grand kids washing the car.