Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: If I buy a white polycarbonate tube is necessary the foam diffuser?

Default Blade pics and descriptions

RedPolyC.jpg

Here is the red polyC tube (40" thick-walled) I spoke about earlier with 6' of gift wrap. I had to use a P4 white in it as my RRRR has not yet arrived. I think the look is quite good, and looks totally badass when not lit.

Cheers!
    174fps

I hope your RRRR output wavelength is in the range of wavelengths the Red PolyC lets through.

Otherwise you may not get the results you are hoping for. IE. you get a very dim blade or even dark blade because it is filtering out most or all your LED light.
    You may have to go with a clear or white blade, or re-order a cool white LZ4-20CW00 = White LED to use your Red PolyC blade.

Colored LED's put out a single wavelength of light. Any filter that does not allow that wavelength through will act as a complete block to the light.

White = all visible wavelengths
    Black = no visible wavelengths

Wavelength Chart.PNG

As you can see the range of wavelengths that the human eye perceives as the color red are between 620 and 750 nanometers.

Your LED will emit exactly one of those wavelengths (the LED specs are probably tighter than the actual 620-750, you will have to look at the LED specs to find out what their allowable manufacturing specs are)

Edit: From the LEDEngin datasheets:
    Red: LZ4-00R100 Red 623nm
    Deep Red: LZ4-00R200 Deep Red (660 nm peak)
    Last edited by Zzan; 06-07-2012 at 07:40 AM.

The LEDs we commonly use don't emit only one wavelength...only lasers do that and our sabers while LEGALLY classified in some jurisdiction as "class II lasers" because of their brightness and use of tight collimator optics are NOT true lasers and do not use true laser diodes. They do have a dominant wavelength which is used for their nominal rating in the manufacturers spec sheets but they emit light in a range of wavelengths around that nominal rated dominant wavelength not an exact single one.

As for the OP, a blue P4 is quite bright for blue sabers and should give very nice results with a white polycarbonate show [thinwall] blade and with white poly-c a diffuser may not be necessary unless you are using a long blade [36"+]. Corbin film doesnt give its FULL benefit with white poly-C since one of the things some like about Corbin film is the core effect noted above - but the other thing Corbin film provides is the pseudo-extend/retract illusion IF used with a PWM driver like the Petit Crouton so it can still have a use in white blades. For evenness however I'd try the white blade empty first and if you find the white blade by itself to be uneven to your eyes then adding 4-6' of clear gift wrap is an easy fix. Since you suggest you don't need a heavy 'gorilla' dueling blade a thinwall show blade will be a bit brighter and the show blades are still VERY strong.

Just to show just how strong these blades really are here's a strength test video done by Madcow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqIQ8...e_gdata_player