Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Star Wars book?

Thrawn is a good series, But if you want one that talks about building a saber you would want to read one of my favorites. "I, Jedi" It's good as a standalone, but better if you've read the X-Wing books. If you have a e-reader or a tablet I would check out the free e-books like lost tribe of the sith series.

I highly recommend "Darth Bane: Path of Destruction" by Drew Karpyshyn, it's also the first book of a trilogy, followed by "Darth Bane: Rule of Two" and "Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil." This trilogy is an excellent look into the history and motivations of the Sith Order, and details Darth Bane's rise to power and the establishment of the infamous Rule of Two. Once you start the first book you won't want to put it down. Fun Fact: Drew Karpyshyn is also the head writer for the Mass Effect video games.

The Thrawn series is a must for anyone in my opinion. I also second "I, Jedi". I would also recommend if you read "I, Jedi", to read the Jedi Academy series first as it gives you a broader scope of what going on at the same time.

I recommended the best star war book is to Darth Bane i think this is a good book about this topic otherwise its depend on your choice
    because many books are else

X-Wing, Thrawn Trilogy, Hand of Thrawn Duology, and Jedi Academy/I, Jedi are all fantastic. Survivors Quest & Scourge are both great stand-alone books.

Well, I have read almost every Novel up to the New Jedi Order, Fate of the Jedi (I think??) and whatever else after (not counting the Legacy comic series about Cade Skywalker... was pretty sweet!!) I can tell you this, its a really tough question being that each one became my new favorite almost 100% of the reads lol I went "Read crazy" for the first time since 13 because of the "Jedi Academy Trilogy" and can say that its a great way to continue your Star Wars universe "history." I also LOVED the Thrawn Trilogy, Darth Bane Trilogy, Vaders series, "Death Troopers'" (because its a zombie/ Star Wars clash up done perfect!" and Darth Mauls books. I know it seems like a lot to pick, but as long as you choose 2 sets out of any from these series, you will be begging for more! Hope its not too late to help man, and Thank You for your service to our Country

I'd suggest anything by Timothy Zahn.

I, Jedi by Michael J. Stackpole is one of my favorites, and I still read it, periodically.

The Jedi Academy trilogy from Kevin J. Anderson is pretty good, as well.

The Prequel books are better than their movies, the original trilogy novels are short and sweet. The "in-betweeners," if you will (Labyrinth of Evil, Dark Lord, The Force Unleashed, and Shadows of the Empire), give some good perspective on events between the movies.

I also thought the Young Jedi Knight series was fair, though written for a younger audience (only the first six books are really worth reading; the others are fair, but not as well done).

If you would like to read short stories that flesh out the Star Wars universe in greater detail, the "Tales from..." titles (Tales from the New Republic, Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina, etc.) have some amazing stories. Fair warning, though, some aren't so amazing.

Personally, I don't like the New Jedi Order, or anything that's come after, and many of the prequel/old republic novels fall into the same boat. I think they have taken Star Wars in a direction that's inconsistent with the original sources (or are just not well written). But that's my opinion, maybe you'll like them.

Unfortunately, speaking now from the perspective of a degree carrying Literature student, a lot of Star Wars novels are a waste of time. Slowly through the years I've been sifting the books to tailor the timeline to what feels more appropriate for Star Wars. The New Jedi Order, Legacy of the Force, and The Fate of the Jedi, sadly, haven't made the cut for me. The vast majority of prequel novels also aren't on my shelf. Though one can find good, individual novels with excellent story telling and sufficient depth within these story lines that reflect excellently upon the Star Wars Universe, many are but a shadowy reflection of what Star Wars ought to be. But, that's my opinion and I'm totally fine with other people liking whatever series or book most appeals to them. (No offense is meant to those who enjoy the series listed above, to each his own. Please don't feel insulted because I don't like the series you do. I have a myriad of reasons for doing so. Trying to convince me of their excellence, or insulting me because of my opposing opinion, will be futile and only cause bruised feelings on both sides).

I hope this post helps, if slowenowen would like more reasons for my book choices past "they're good," let me know and I'll go into greater detail.
    Last edited by Skinnerman02; 06-09-2012 at 07:39 AM.
    "Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also."
    -Marcus Aurelius, one of the Five Good Emperors of Rome

I like The Old Republic books "Fatal Alliance" and "Deceived" (which is the story of the sacking of Coruscant from the TOR game trailer). I like the Old Republic era cuz it gives you a look at the history of the universe. Also if you want something different read "Red Harvest" which is sith zombies.

I found Fatal Alliance to be a difficult read... It could never quite grab my attention and i found my self looking forword to being finished with it rather then actually reading it. I recomdend skipping it and going directly to Deceived... Also the newer Revan book is cool for some nice backstory on that character.

by far the best series was The New Jedi Order.
    "A foolish man fights a fight he'll lose, and lose foolishly".