Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Best Star Wars book?

I was in the Army once upon a time, and I find that Karen Traviss' "Republic/Imperial Commando" series makes the military part of my brain happy. It's basically a look at the Star Wars Universe through military eyes.
    "Bacon and cheese>squeezed lemon." - FenderBender
    "But, ya know...rules are made to be broken." - Yoshi-Taka
    LDM's Recipe For Noobs. Totally Worth The Read.

I agree that getting the audio books, and putting them in Star Wars Chronological order and starting from the first is a great way to do it. Toss them on an Ipod/digital audio device and its a great way to eat up time plus you don't have to lug around books which is tough enough on a deployment. And I really wish I had thought of audiobooks back during my last deployment could have helped with all the downtime.

I started off a few years ago and have been through all of the books in audio form while at work. Best part about it is if you don't like it you can just skip to the next one in the set and not have to worry about anything but deleting it.

Some of the ones that stood out for me were:
    The Thrawn Trilogy
    The Darth Bane books
    Darth Plagueis

If you are enjoy a touch of horror then Red Harvest and Death Troopers are decent,
    I also overall enjoyed the Legacy books some of them were dull at times but when the action finally came it was pretty good.

There is also a Dawn of the Jedi book set to come out May 7, 2013.
    Last edited by Lubic; 09-27-2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Wife insisted on dragging me to the store....

Thrawn Trilogy. Traitor is by far my favorite part of the NJO. The Legacy of the Force arc
    ...YUP!

have to agree The Thrawn Trilogy is the best

+1 for Thrawn, definitely!

I enjoyed Revan as well (being a SWTOR player).
    And The Bane Trilogy will be my next read.
    Clicky Sig =>

O.K. Thrawn series was pretty cool, but come on Jason Solo turning to the darkside how can you compare!!!!
    "A foolish man fights a fight he'll lose, and lose foolishly".

Tales of the bounty hunters. Ive read most the starwars series books but when i think of a favorite book its Tales of the bounty hunters for sure.

Loved Boba's and Ig-88's storys.
    }---------------{
    ]-----------------"Fullmerge Benzin"----------------------------------------:Beware of the dark side:--------------------------------------- "Fierfek"--------------------------------[

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Odious View Post
    I highly recommend the book Traitor from the new jedi order series.
    Anor: "There are thousands of warriors out here. You are only one man!"
    Rhysode: "I am only one Jedi."
    Anor: "You're insane!"
    Rhysode: "No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
    ―Nom Anor and Ganner Rhysodes

One of the best scenes ever.

its a bit off topic and i am sure you have already deployed but where you headed? what branch and what mos are you? it is always good to find fellow military nerds
    Olc-Pa Mabec

Reading Zahn's "Allegiance", and then "Choices of One" made me feel like a kid reading these novels again. Smooth reads, and really, really well-written. Zahn captured the '77 versions of the hero characters well (whiny Luke, headstrong Princess, and smug Han) as well as introduced some fantastic Stormtrooper good-guys. (Not rebels, but genuine "doing-the-right-thing" troopers. Loved it.