Thread: Soldering station tips

Default Soldering station tips

Tips as in helpful tidbits. I've been using a pencil soldering wand for a few years now. Just got my first CF so I wanted to upgrade before tackling that project. I went to Fry's and purchased this one

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brand...c=037103059963

This is my first adjustable heat soldering station and I was just wondering if you had any advice on the temps I should be using. Like setting X for doing LEDengin's or setting Y for soundboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordandau View Post
    Tips as in helpful tidbits. I've been using a pencil soldering wand for a few years now. Just got my first CF so I wanted to upgrade before tackling that project. I went to Fry's and purchased this one

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brand...c=037103059963

This is my first adjustable heat soldering station and I was just wondering if you had any advice on the temps I should be using. Like setting X for doing LEDengin's or setting Y for soundboards.
    I went around 450 on the board and maybe 600 for the LEDEngin. Rub the hot iron on the bottom of the aluminum star under the pad you're going to solder for a few seconds.

General tips:

If the solder isn't melting properly don't be afraid to go higher.
    You stand more of a chance overheating critical components by trying to solder at low temperatures than you do at higher ones.
    Low temperatures take longer and give electronics more time to soak up lethal heat.
    High temperatures let you get in and out quickly.
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.